Our camp's namesake is BRIGADIER GENERAL FELIX H. ROBERTSON (1839-1928).
Felix Hutson Robertson, the only Texas-born general officer to serve the Confederacy, was born on March 9, 1839, at Washington-on-the-Brazos, the son of Mary Cummins and Jerome Bonaparte Robertson. His father Jerome also attended the rank of Brigadier General at the head of Hood's Brigade. He attended Baylor University and was appointed to West Point in 1857.
He resigned shortly before graduation in order to offer his services to the Confederacy. Robertson rose rapidly in the army. He was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant of artillery and participated in the staff of Gen. A.H. Gladden at Pensacola, Florida. Considered by many of his superiors to be "an able and accomplished artillery officer," Robertson, who had been named Captain in charge of an Alabama battery, fought with workmanlike efficiency at Shiloh. At Murfreeboro his controversial but nonetheless courageous performance under fire was noticed by General Braxton Bragg, then commanding the Army of Tennessee. As a reward for his services, Robertson was promoted to the rank of Major and given command of the artillery reserver. After leading a battalion at Chicamauga, he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and was given charge of Gen. Joseph Wheeler's cavalry-corps artillery, which he led during the 1864 Atlanta campaign.
On July 26, 1864, Robertson was appointed Brigadier General. After serving as General Wheeler's chief of staff, he commanded a brigade and then a small division. A server wound inflicted on November 29, 1864, at Buckhead Creek near Augusta Georgia, ended Roberton's active service. His military career, despite his rapid advancement, was not without controversy.
His was often an unwilling subordinate, and his loyalty to General Bragg sometimes caused friction with other officers. Robertson was also a strict disciplinarian whose punishments and Indian-like features earned him the nickname "Commanche Robertson". After the war Robertson returned to Texas and made his permanent residence in Waco.
He read law and soon became a member of the State Bar of Texas. With his father he invested in railroads and real estate. Robertson was an enthusiastic member of the United Confederate Veterans and served as the Commander of the Texas Division in 1911.
He was married twice; his first wife was Sarah Davis, whom he wed in 1864. After she died, he married Elizabeth Dwyer, in 1892.
At the time of his death in Waco on April 20,1928, Robertson was the last surviving General of the Confederacy. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery , Waco, Texas.