Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

The lights on the flagpoles at Fletcher Cemetery have been mounted on all three poles. Willie Douglas tried to mount them with a ladder but the slope was too steep. We had to hire Hensel Electric. They were out there on New Year's Eve and used a bucket truck to re-install the existing 2 lights and added a third to complete the job. Next, Willie will mount a light on the IH35 flagpole. If you drive by the ones on HWY 77, at night, let me know how  good a job the lights are doing. We will have our Lee-Jackson Dinner on our regular meeting night, January 14th. We will have a buffet like we did last year. Mary Duty gives us a good price which will include meal, coffee or tea, plus the tip. I will have her set it up for the meal to be served at 6:30. Please come whether you eat or not.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veterans' monthly meeting will be Tuesday, January 14th, at Poppa Rollo's Pizza, 703 n Valley Mills drive. The Robert E. Lee/Stonewall Jackson Birthday Dinner will be at 6:00 PM and the program at 7:00 PM. The speaker will be Mr. Bob Lul. His topic will be "The Texas Invasion of New Mexico". Visitors are welcome.

Chaplain Comments

Greetings Compatriots,

I take this opportunity to wish each of you a safe, prosperous and healthful 2014, and hope that all had a blessed Christmas. It is during these cold and rainy nights, as I make myself comfortable in the king sized bed under the warmth of the electric blanket, that I imagine the discomfort  our Southern soldier ancestors felt 150 years ago as they suffered the privation of cold and  hunger, being ill clothed and short of rations and supplies. January 1864 temperatures plunged below zero from the North well into the South making the conditions miserable for our soldiers and sailors. Minor actions were ordered on several fronts. On 4 January President Davis orders General Lee to commandeer food supplies in Virginia. The Confederate troops and animals in winter quarters are seriously underfed, but the civilian population of the South has suffered considerable deprivation. Lets pray that we never have to experience such.

It seems more and more organizations are making it their business to force the population to submit to freedom from religion. This appears to be a concerted egffort in the Chaplain Corps of our military services. I quote from the *afaJournal Jan 2014.

Veteran Affairs Department of Defense Pastoral Education Center Program is a one year program required for those wanting to minister vocationally to soldiers in VA hospitals. According to two Baptist chaplains, the San Diego, California, program would ask more than they could answer. It started when their instructor, Nancy Dietsch, said the policy of VA is that chaplains should not pray in the name of Jesus. In a later discussion on faith, one of the chaplains quoted a portion of Hebrews 11:1, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Dietsch told him he was not allowed to quote scripture in class.

In the later stage of the class, Dietsch said, "There is no room in the program for those who believe they are right and everyone else is wrong". She later came back to that idea, saying, "There are many ways to heaven". When one of the chaplains confronted her with Jesus's statement in John 14:6 that He is the way, the truth, and the life, she said, "If you believe your beliefs are right, and everyone else's are wrong, you do not belong in this program". 

The anti-Christian beliefs of the trainer eventually led to one chaplain leaving the program and another being dismissed. For generations, soldiers have carried the weight of American freedom to the battlefield, regardless of theb personal cost to them. It is now the time for citizens to carry the weight of the soldiers spiritual needs to the altar.

*afaJournal is a publication  of the American Family Association, Tupelo, MS.

Happy New Year and Deo Vindice,

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Fire in the Cane Field: The Federal Invasion of Texas, January 1861-1863, by Donald R. Frazier. Donald Frazier is a professor of history at McMurry State University in Abilene, and has written other books on Texas Civil War history. The book, despite its title, deals mostly with military operations in the lower Louisiana area west of New Orleans. The author discusses the strength of secessionist sentiment in the area, and how that influenced military operations. The author also details the impact of prolonged and increasingly total warfare on the culture and society of the area of operations. The book ends with the Confederate recapture of Galveston on New Year's Day, 1863. This book is the first of a proposed four volume series on operations in the Texas-Louisiana area. I enjoyed this book very much.

The Galvanized Yankees, by Dee Brown. Dee Brown is also the author of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. The so-called Galvanized Yankees were Confederate prisoners of war recruited to serve in the U.S. Army for service on the frontier, principally guarding wagon routes west. Thet were organized into six regiments of infantry designated as the 1st through 6th U.S. Volunteers. The quality of the volunteers and their leadership varied greatly. Some units were outstanding while others had severe discipline and desertion problems. The motivations for these men varied greatly. Some of the "volunteers were pro-Union in their orientation, and looked upon enlistment as a way to serve their country. Others were simply deadbeats irregardless of the uniform they wore. There were numerous volunteers who were good soldiers in the Confederate army who simply joined to escape the boredom of captivity and poor rations. The Galvanized Yankees left a large number of their dead behind on the western frontier; some from hostile action, but a far larger number perished from the various diseases prevalent at the time. Scurvy seems to have been a particular killer at the poorly provisioned and isolated outposts during the wintertime. The last of the volunteers were mustered out in November, 1866, by order of General Sherman. He was anxious to replace them with the new postwar regular army units. This is a fascinating bit of WBTS and western history.   

Where A Hundred Soldiers Were Killed:P The Struggle for the Powder River Country in 1866 and the Making of the Fetterman Myth, by John H. Monnett. This book discusses Red Cloud's War in 1866 which eventually resulted in the closing of the Bozeman Trail. The principal engagements of the war were the Fetterman Fight of December, 1866, and the Wagon Box and Hayfield Fights of the following year. The units involved were from the 18th U.S. Infantry and 2d U.S. Cavalry. The Indians were from the Sioux, Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes. The two mentioned U.S. Army units had just relieved units of the Galvanized Yankees. The part of the subtitle referring to the Fetterman myth was also discussed in last month's book, Give Me Eighty Men. These two books were both acquired when I visited Fort Phil Kearny three months ago.

Lexington, Concord, and Bunker Hill, by Francis Russell and the Editors of American Heritage. This is another volume in the American Heritage Junior Library which I grew up reading in elementary school.

Facebook

Flag Pledges