Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Our upcoming meeting should be a good one. First, we have a speaker who will talk about slavery. I have been a member of the SCV since 1988 and never sat through a talk about this issue. It is a subject that most Southerners do not want to remember.  Most of us are devout Christians and in today's world find it very hard to justify ever owning someone else or be owned yourself. We will also discuss buying some reproduction Enfield rifles so that our camp can have a color guard. It would be used for parades, memorial services, and grave dedications. Those of you who might be interested would have to buy your own uniforms. John Dickey has been checking on the pricing of both the rifles and the uniforms and has found us some good deals on both. We will also discuss the six burial spots left in the Confederate veteran's section at Oakwood. I hope to see you on Tuesday at our meeting on February 11.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veterans's monthly meeting will be Tuesday, Fedruary 11th , at Poppa Rollo's Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. The meal will be at 6:00 PM and the program at 7:00 PM. The speaker will be Mr. Billy Boyd. His topic will be "Why Slavery"?  Visitors are welcome.

Chaplain Comments

Most of nine months has come and gone since the passing of our Chaplain of the Army of Trans-Mississippi, Bro Len Patterson. His “Sunday Message”, E-mailed each week, was an inspiration to many and is sorely missed by yours truly. Let’s revisit his writing of one year ago this week. It’s message is just as timely this February of 2014.
Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Will God Destroy the U.S.?

Some years ago I heard someone say, "If God doesn't destroy the United States, He'll owe an apology to Sodom and Gomorrah." Now let me quickly state before I say more, I don't believe God will ever owe an apology to anyone for anything. But, if that was a valid statement when I first heard it, it is certainly more so today. So. will God destroy the United States?

In Genesis 18:23, just prior to the destruction of Sodom, Abraham asks the Lord, "Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?" He then goes on to reason with the Lord in the attempt to save Sodom. He continues by asking if the Lord will spare Sodom if there can be found fifty righteous within the city, and the Lord agrees. (vs. 26)

But Abraham is not finished. He asks if the Lord will spare the city for the sake of forty-five righteous. Then forty. Then thirty. Then twenty. Then finally, ten. And, the Lord responds in verse 32, "I will not destroy it for ten's sake." From this dialog between Abraham and the Lord we can learn two things. First, God is reasonable and can be persuaded: or in other words, Prayer Works! In James 5:16, the Scripture says, "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." This should encourage us to follow the advice of the Apostle Paul in First Thessalonians 5:17, where the Bible tells us to "Pray without ceasing."

The second thing we learn is the Lord will spare the wicked for the sake of the Godly. Perhaps this explains why God has not destroyed the United States for it's headlong dive into the abyss of wickedness and evil. There are still true Christians in this country doing the Lord's work.

This could also be said of our noble and historic Confederation. While I understand the Sons of Confederate Veterans is not a church (but then neither was the Confederate Army), we should still be faithful in prayer and obedience to Christ and seek His strength and Guidance. In Philippians 4:13, the Bible tells us, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth (empowers) me."

I don't know what God has in store for the United States, but I do know what will prevent it's premature destruction. That is, a return to the faith of our founding fathers. Maybe the word we're looking for is revival.

Bro. Len Patterson, Th.D

Chaplain, Army of Trans-Mississippi

Sons of Confederate Veterans

Confederate Book Reviews

The Civil War in the West:Victory and Defeat from the Appalachians to the Mississippi, by Earl J. Hess. The modern historic interpretation of the WBTS is that the South did not lose the war in virginia, but in the vast area known as the Western Theater between the Mississippi River and the area south and west of Virginia. In this large area was concentrated  a large portion of the Confederacy's key military and logistic areas. In this area Southern armies were gradually pushed back by superior Union forces who were greatly aided by their use of riverine naval forces along the region's many navigable waterways. Despite the commitment of large forces including the Army of Tennessee the South was not able to recover any areas after they were lost. The moral effects of Southern defeats in the Western Theater were counteracted by the tremendous military successes of Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia. The defeats in the Western Theater adversely affected the Army of Northern Virginia by causing desertion amongst its troops who were from areas being overrun and disrupting the flow of supplies. Once the Army of Northern Virginia was finally defeated, all hope was lost and the South collapsed like a house of cards. Professor Hess's excellent book subscribes to this interpretation. The author does an excellent job of describing the military campaigns in this area. However, he also examines the logistics and military administration involved in this enormous region. Professor Hess discusses the importance of emancipation as well as the ups and downs of civilian morale. This is another excellent book from the able pen of Earl J. Hess. 

Triumph and Defeat: The Vicksburg Campaign, by Terrence J. Winschel. This book--which is the first of a two volume set--is a collection of ten essays authored by the chief historian at the Vicksburg National Military Park. Though they do not provide a comprehensive view of the entire campaign they are presented in chronological order and do cover varied aspects of the campaign. Among the topics presented are Grant's movement through Louisiana, Grierson's Raid, the Battle of Port Gibson, and the experience of Vicksburg's civilians during the siege. Siege operations, a look at the life of John C. Pemberton, and the futile Confederate attempts to rescue the city from the Trans-Mississippi Department are also covered. This is an excellent book for anyone interested in the Campaign and Siege of Vicksburg.

Brush Men and Vigilantes: Civil War Dissent in Texas, by David Pickering and Judy Falls. This book looks at life during the WBTS in the Sulphur Forks River valley northeast of Dallas. This area at the time was part of Fannin, Lamar, Hunt, and Hopkins Counties. The area was populated by two distinct groups of peoples: Lower Southerners from the lower South cotton states, and Upper Southerners from the upper South and border states. In brief, the lower Southerners tended to be more enthusiastic for secession than the upper Southerners, who tended to be somewhat divided in their sympathies. This tension resulted in a great deal of tension between the two groups, and eventually bloodshed. There was draft evasion, with groups of men using the numerous thickets to hide out, as well as some lynchings. The bitterness caused by these episodes lasted long after the war. Attempts were made by relatives of the lynching victims to bring the perpetrators to trial after the war. However, by that time, former Confederates were again in positions of authority so these efforts were all in vain. This book is an excellent piece of local history.

Little Bighorn & Isandlwana: Kindred Fights Kindred Follies, by Paul Williams. This book is a fun read about comparisons between the U.S. disaster at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, and the British defeat at the hands of Zulu warriors at the Battle of Isandlwana in 1879. As history , it is entertaining, but not deep. The sources are all secondary works, so there is nothing original. But, the observations that the author brings up are interesting, and make for a good read. If nothing else, it is a good primer on how NOT to fight natives on their home ground.

Dates

Facebook

Flag Pledges