Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

We have been supporting the Memorial Day service at Rosemount for many years until last year. Our camp has furnished gas money for several different artillery groups to be there and fire a cannon salute. We were always told that everyone there appreciated what we did. I asked the person in charge of the event if we could post our colors when everyone else there does. He turned me down and said that it was not appropriate. I told him that in 1906 President Teddy Roosevelt had Congress push through a bill that made the Confederate soldier a U.S. veteran. I reminded him that Memorial Day was started in the South by the Southern people. For many years, it was called Decoration Day. President Davis was still in a military prison a year after the war was over. He asked that everyone decorate the graves of the Confederate soldiers with flowers to remember them and to remind everyone that they gave their lives for their country. The women & children answered the call. On April 26, 1866, they proceeded to the cemeteries and carried out the request. While they were there, if they found a Union soldier buried, they also laid flowers on his grave as well. When word got back to General Sherman, he was so moved that he met with Congress and asked them to set aside a day for all the soldiers who died during the war. It became known as Decoration Day and was held in May. In 1932 Congress officially named it Memorial Day and it would be on the last Monday in May. Needless to say, we will no longer furnish the cannon for the event. If you disagree with this please let it be known at our April 8th meeting. We do not have the time, or the uniforms, to have a formal ceremony on April 26 this year. However, if anyone would like us to have an informal one, let's talk about it at our meeting.

"The history and statistics of Union recruiting show that approximately one-third of the men in blue joined up without compulsion or extraordinary inducements. ...it is easy to understand why the North, with four times the South's military manpower, was scarcely able to achieve a two to one battlefield superiority."

Professor Ludwell H. Johnson as quoted from his book, "North Against South".

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veteran's monthly meeting will be Tuesday, April 8th, at Poppa Rollo's Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. The meal will be at 6:00 PM and the program at 7:00 PM. The speaker will be Mr. Jerry Watt. His topic will be "THe Great Beefsteak Raid". Visitors are welcome.

Chaplain Comments

Back when I thought it was cool to be an agnostic, I read the prophecies of Daniel 2. The Lord gave Daniel the layout of the ruling powers of the world in succession, there not being one mistake in His word. It didn't take this old country boy long to figure out that only one individual could do that...the Lord God Almighty. The One who put it all in place and could see the end from the begininng . With all the hype about this new movie, "Noah", I am reminded that He has given us some indications of what to expect before the end of time. Matthew 24:37-39 (KJV) tells us, "But as the days of Noe , so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be." In other words, the population of the world was ignoring the warning because no one had ever seen a flood before.

What are some of the indications that the last days are upon us?

Matt 24:3-7 (NKJV) And as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the world? And Jesus answered and said to them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many will come in My name, saying, I am Christ, and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled, for all these things must occur; but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines and pestilences and earthquakes in different places.

Luke 21:25-28 (NKJV) And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars. And on the earth will be anxiety of nations with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men fainting from fear, and expecting those things which have come on the earth. For the powers of the heavens shall be shaken. And then they shall see the Son Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to happen, then look up and lift up your heads, for your redemption draws near.

And what will be the attitude of the general population?

2 Tim #:1-5 (NKJV) Know this also, that in the last days grievous times will be at hand. For men will be self-lovers, money-lovers, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, unyielding, false accusers, without self-control, savage, despisers of good, traitors, reckless, puffed up, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power of it; even turn away from these.

Daniel 12:4 (NKJV) But you, O Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, even to the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

I hope that these few verses have peaked your curiosity for these verses have just skimmed the subject. All it would take to create the "time of trouble" as spoken of in Daniel 12:1 is a financial collapse,  or, even worse, an EMP. Search the scripture, He's given us the answers.

God Bless and Deo Vindice,

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

In the Trenches at Petersburg: Field Fortifications and Confederate Defeat, by Earl J. Hess. This book is the concluding volume of Professor Hess' trilogy on the use of fortifications in the eastern theater. The previous books were: Field Armies and Fortifications in the Civil War: The Eastern Campaigns, 1861-1864, and Trench Warfare under Grant and Lee: Field Fortifications in the Overland Campaign. This is a very detailed look at the Petersburg Campaign with an emphasis on how the use of field fortifications was both a cause of how the campaign was fought AND a result of the tactics employed. Hess maintains that the extensive use of fieldworks was a function of the almost continuous contact between the two armies. This is in contrast to the belief that the use of the rifled musket was the impetus for the increasing use of the spade as a weapon of war. The author provides detailed descriptions of the fortifications that were built as well as the rationale behind their being constructed. Like his other books, the author provides an excellent appendix listing the condition  of existing works as they appear today. This is an excellent book that would probably appeal to someone with a fairly detailed knowledge of the eastern  campaigns  in the Eastern Theater.

The American Civil War: A Military History, by John Keegan. John Keegan was a professor of military history at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst who built his reputation upon a best selling book that he authored in the 1970s entitled The Face of Battle. I have always enjoyed his books, though their quality has been somewhat uneven. I recently read his books on World War I and World War II and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Unfortunately, this book is not up to snuff. There are numerous historical errors, and there are some things that are mentioned more than once which indicates an editing problem. Given Mr. Keegan's reputation, any book that he turns out is going to sell. At some point noteworthy authors begin to think that they don't need editors; I think that occurred in Tom Clancy's later years. Some people are going to be put off by his English academic overly verbose style. Regrettably, I would only recommend this book if you have everything else on the WBTS.

The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull, by Robert Utley. This is a superb biography by the dean of western historians on the great Lakota chief. The lance in the title reflects his efforts to protect his people by force of arms while the shield represents his efforts during the period on the reservation to serve the best interests of his people. Dr. Utley presents a dignified and flattering portrait of the great chief.

The Mystery of E Troop: Custer's Gray Horse Company at the Little Bighorn, by Gregory Michno. Prolific western history writer Michno examines the faqte of Custer's E Troop at the Battle of the Little Bighorn: specifically, where were the men of this company killed on the battlefield. Obviously, this is a very detailed and minute topic so if you are not very familiar with the battle you should probably skip this book.

A Battlefield Atlas of the American Revolution, by Craig L. Symonds, cartography by Willian J. Clipson. This is an excellent, brief atlas of the Revolutionary War geared toward a beginning reader who is not familiar with the military operations.

INTERESTING QUOTE

"Our men in the field do not lack food, or clothing, or money, but they do lack noble watchwords and inspiring ideas. The Southern soldier has what at least serves him as such; for he believes that he fights in defense of country, home, and rights; and he strikes vehemently and with a will. Our men, alas! Have no such ideas. The Union is to most of them an abstraction, and not an inspiring watchword. The sad truth should be known--that our army has no conscious, noble purpose; and our soldiers generally have not much stomach for fight...the Northern army is better equipped, better clad, fed and lodged; and is in a far more comfortable condition, not only than the Southern army, but any other in the world; and yet, if the pay were stopped in both, the Northern army would probably mutiny at once, or crumble rapidly; while the Southern  army would probably hold together for a long time, in some shape, if their cause seemed to demand it. The animating spirit of the Southern soldier is rather moral than pecuniary; of the Northern soldier it is rather pecuniary than moral. "

Samuel Gridley Howe, husband of  "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" author Julia Howe. Mr. Howe did NOT serve in the military.

Dates

4/8        Camp 129 meeting

4/11-13 Reenactment Confederate Reunion Grounds-Mexia

4/25      Flag graves for Memorial Day

4/26     Confederate Memorial Day

4/26      Memorial Day Event-Camp 129

5/1        Rose Chapter Meeting

5/16-18 Reenactment in Temple

Facebook

Flag Pledges