Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Heavy rain was in the forecast for Memorial Day here in Waco. Some members of your camp rifle squad were very concerned about getting their new uniforms and new rifles all wet. John Dickey, our spokesman, had told the McLennan County Veterans Association that we were ready to do a rifle salute during the caremony on May 26th. Since I have been a reenactor for many years I offered to teach our bunch the manual of arms so that we would look like we knew what we were doing. We drilled about 45 minutes on Sunday, the 25th. The skies cleared and a pretty good size4d crowd appeared on Monday at Waco Memorial Park to remember all those who have given their lives in defense of their country. I was pretty nervous since we had not had a whole lot of drilling. However, under the leadership of Lt. John Dickey, our firing squad fired two rounds from our muskets and everything came off ton near perfection. The crowd got to see us go through the loading procedures and firing in sequence. You should be proud of your camp. Next year we will post our colors along with the other groups that did.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting for the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 Sons of Confederate Veterans will be at 7 PM 10 June at Poppa Rollos Pizza on North Valley Mills Drive. If you want to eat show up at 6 PM. The speaker will be Mr. Billy Boyd and his topic will be "Why Slavery?" Please come and join us and bring a friend.

Chaplain Comments

The fourteenth of this month I have been asked to preach at our church with 2Cor 6th chapter as the scripture on which to focus. When reminded today that the Chaplain’s Comments were due, the thought came to me, “Why not use my study on these verses to the benefit of many, rather than just our small congregation?” After all, two of the primary subjects of these texts are Grace and Salvation.

Paul is pleading for the Corinthians not to receive the grace of God in vain and quotes Isa 49:8, “So says Jehovah, in an acceptable time I heard You, and in a day of salvation I have helped You.” Paul goes on to mention the many troubles and inconveniences that he had suffered for the Lord’s work. Some of the trials of life that Paul experienced would make our Confederate soldiers’ day seem like a cake walk. Had I been in Paul’s shoes, death would have been a welcome relief. Cor 6:4&5 mentions his tribulations, needs, distresses, stripes, imprisonments, tumults, labors and sleeplessness.
2Cor 11:25-27 expounds upon these as, “Five times from the Jews I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked. I have spent a night and a day in the deep. I have been in travels often; in dangers from waters; in dangers from robbers; in dangers from my race; in dangers from the heathen; in dangers in the city; in dangers in the wilderness; in dangers on the sea; in dangers among false brothers. I have been in hardship and toil; often in watchings; in hunger and thirst; often in fastings; in cold and nakedness.” Through his faith, and the grace of God, Paul survived all these perils.

2Cor 6:2 (Last part) “Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.” (Emphasis mine) My friends, salvation is free as long as there is a breath in us, but how long will that be? Through His grace we are alive today but how long will that last?
On the news tonight, Madison County, TX, a seventeen year old girl who had just graduated high school at the top of her class last Friday night, was killed when her car collided head on with a truck Sunday night. How tragic! Accept that gift of salvation while the offer stands. Now is the accepted time, now is the day! As my dad would say, “You’ll never do it any younger!”

Deo Vindice,
Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Killing Ground: The Wilderness to Cold Harbor, by Gregory Jaynes, published by Time-Life Books. This book is the volume in the Time-Life Civil War series that dealt with the Overland Campaign of 1864. recently, I had the opportunity to do some WBTS traveling in Virginia, concentrating on the 1864 Overland Campaign. I was able to visit the Wilderness and Spotsylvania battlefields on the 150th anniversaries. Alot of the books that I will be reviewing in the next few months will be books that I read, or, in most cases, reread in order to prepare for this trip. This book is a well illustrated overview of the Overland Campaign in a compact format.

Bloody Roads South: The Wilderness to Cold Harbor, May-June 1864, by Noah Andre Trudeau. This book is another good overview of the Overland Campaign of 1864. It is a book of moderate length (about 300 pages), and is extremely easy to read. Mr. Trudeau writes very well. Mr. Trudeau's book is primarily an oral history. He takes oral accounts and uses them as the vehicle for telling the story. Because of this, there is not alot of scholarly type analysis in the work. However, in this book, it works really well. I recommend this as a great introduction to the subject for someone who is not a big reader of history.

And Keep Moving On: The Virginia Campaign, May-June 1864, by Mark Grimsley. This is another great introduction to the Overland Campaign. This series of excellent histories published by Bison Books are fun to read and very informative. Most of the sources used in this book are recent secondary works which allow for the presentation of the latest scholarly thought. The book does use eyewitness accounts, but they are more in the mode of adding flavor to the narrative. This book is of moderate length and is highly recommended.

The Battles of Wilderness & Spotsylvania, by Gordon C. Rhea, published by Eastern National Pard & Monument Association for the National Park Service. This short book is part of the excellent series available at battlefield visitor centers. The authors are all well known WBTS writers who have published major works on the subjects in question.

The Battle of Cold Harbor, by Gordon C. Rhea. This This short book, like the one above, is a volume in the National Parks Civil War series. And, like the previous volume, this is an excellent summary history of the military operations on the North Anna River and the bloody battle at Cold Harbor.

Unconditional Surrender: The Capture of Forts Henry and Donelson, by Spencer C. Tucker. This compact volume is part of the "Civil War Campaigns and Commanders" series published originally by the McWhiney Foundation Press. As per the other volumes in the series, this book is an excellent overview of the disastrous operations early in 1862 that undermined the Southern position in the western theater, and from which the South never recovered.

Revolutionary Summer: The Birth of American Independence, by Joseph Ellis. Joseph Ellis is the author of Founding Brothers, which won the Pulitzer Prize for history. This superb book concentrates on the summer months of 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was issued and the British arguably missed their only chance to win the war outright. George Washington's forces were badly defeated on Long Island and were only able to retreat due to bad weather and British inactivity.

"Chancellorsville: A Documentary Film", narrated by Jody Powell. I remember back in the old days that when you went to a National Park Service Visitor Center to see the free movie they were, in a word, terrible. That is no longer the case as the films that are now shown are actually pretty good. This one is well done...and entertaining.

Dates

7/10/14  Brazos Rose Chapter Meeting 6:00pm

Facebook

Flag Pledges