Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Our very own member, Cary Bogan, will be ourspeaker this month. Be sure and hear him speak on the 8th. We put a picture of your Camp Drill Team on our website and I hope that you have gone to the website to see it. The crowd at the Memorial Day Service at Waco Memorial Park seemed very appreciative that we showed up and fired a rifle salute. I would like to talk about next year and what I would like us to do at the next one. It will be the 150th year since 1865 when the war ended and it would be nice to have a ceremony centered around this. I will be speaking in Gatesville, on the 15th, at the SCV camp meeting. I will travel to Bryan and speak there on the 24th. If anyone else has a talk that they would like to give, let George know and thev will put you on the schedule. If you want to speak at other camps, your name can be added to the Division list. We have been a camp for 25 years and had a speaker at every  meeting. Let Hayden Moody know if you are available some time to help clean up along Highway 77. If someone notices that they have mowed our section let him know so that he can set a time to meet. Also, I believe we have an extra rifle that the camp purchased and it would be available for someone to use at a grave dedication, memorial service, or a parade. Whoever uses it will have to furnish their own uniform or borrow one of mine that does not fit me anymore. Remember, if we plan ahead and want an entry in the Veteran's Day Parade let me know. If you feel like you cannot walk the distance, 15 blocks down Austin Avenue, maybe we can have a float and share it with some ladies who want to dress in period clothing and wave at the crowd. See ya'll Tuesday.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next camp meeting for the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 will be at 7 PM Tuesday the 8th of July at Poppa Rollos Pizza on Valley Mills drive. Dinner will be at 6 PM. The speaker will be our camp's Cary Bogan His topic will be "The Battle for the Mule Shoe Salient and the Bloody Angle May 12th 1864". Visitors are welcome.

Chaplain Comments

Welcome to Summer fellow Compatriots!  And a Big "Thank You " to God for the much needed rain.  Some time has passed since we lost our Trans-Mississippi Chaplain, Bro Len Patterson.  I do so miss his sermonettes that would arrive in the E-mail each month.  I reviewed one that was written back in 2011 and decided to share it with y'all.  Our thinking was much along the same lines but he had a better way of expressing his thoughts.  Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a Fact!

We have all seen tests where a statement is made and we are then asked to decide if the statement is true or false. The answers are usually given at the bottom of the page (upside down) or on another page in the book or magazine. Sometimes we find that our answer is wrong and we must change what we thought about a particular subject. However, we know there are those who refuse to be influenced by what is actually true or false. They will continue to believe what they want to believe, what they have been told to believe, or what suits their interests to believe, without regard for the facts.

Webster's Dictionary defines a fact as, "Something known to be true." It seems to me that if something is known to be true, there would be no debate or disagreement about it's validity. And yet, there is. In John 8:46, Jesus asks, "And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?" One reason is pure ignorance. They simply don't know the truth and don't care to know the truth, but will still argue as if they know all about it. Another reason many ignore the truth is they would rather defend their opinion than change their mind, even if the facts prove them wrong. Why is that?

Jesus gave this answer in John 3:19, "Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." Think of the many so called "controversial issues" being debated today. There's gun control, abortion, homosexual activity along with same sex marriage, excessive taxes, bail outs, illegal immigration and more. The facts about each of these issues is obvious and the answers are simple. And most, if not all of us know what is true or false about these matters.

There are facts concerning our Confederate ancestors and Southern heritage. As members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, we have studied and know what is true or false. As the Scripture says, "We have not followed cunningly devised fables." (2 Pet. 1:16) That is, the fables concocted by the Unionists to justify their invasion of the sovereign Confederate States, and all the horrors inflicted on Southern men, women and children in a war that was as unnecessary as it was illegal.

It is also true that the United Confederate Veterans, followed by the Sons of Confederate Veterans were once highly respected organizations, especially in the South. Our membership included the most influential men of society, as well as officials in all levels of government. But the federalists have done their job well. I won't talk about where we are today. You know where we are as a Confederation as well, if not better, than I do. 

The only answer for the Sons of Confederate Veterans is to put our faith and trust in Almighty God, and follow Him as He leads us to success in our just and most worthy Cause. If we are to accomplish our mission to save our Southern heritage and the respect due our brave and honorable Confederate forefathers, we must have the guidance and blessings of God. And, that's a fact.

Bro. Len Patterson, Th.D
Chaplain, Army of Trans-Mississippi
Sons of Confederate Veterans

Enjoy "The Fourth"! and Deo Vindice!
Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Battle of the Wilderness, May 5-6, 1864, by Gordon C. Rhea. This book is the most recent and most detailed look at the Battle of the Wilderness. It provides excellent tactical detail, superb maps to support the text, lots of exciting first person accounts so that the book does not read like a dry text book, so...what is there not to like? My personal preference is to read an outline history--like one of the National Park Service booklets-- before reading an in depth work like this.  I find it easier to place the tactical detail in the big picture if I have a grasp of the overall battle. Any way you want to approach this book it is sure to entertain and inform.

The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern, May 7-12, 1864, by Gordon C. Rhea. This book is the follow up to the previously reviewed book on the Wilderness and the same positives apply. This book includes a great bit of detail on the fierce cavalry operations during this period which culminated in the death of Confederate cavalry commander General JEB Stuart. One thing should be noted. The end date for the book is the 12th of May which means that the Spotsylvania fighting which occurred after the Mule Shoe Salient battle on the 12th of May is covered in the follow up book on the North Anna River.

No Turning Back: A Guide to the 1864 Overland Campaign, from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor, May 4-June 13, 1864, by Robert M. Dunkerly, Donald C. Pfanz, and David R. Ruth. This book is a short history of the Overland Campaign in the form of a travel guide. Each chapter has a brief introduction, with the body of the chapter consisting of a driving tour conducted in chronological order. Despite the seeming awkwardness the organization of the book works. The reader is able to follow the ebb and flow of the campaign while following the operations on the ground. 

Wilderness and Spotsylvania 1864: Grant versus Lee in the East, by Andy Nunez. This book is a volume in the Osprey Publishing Company "Campaign" series. The books in this series are short, but well written with excellent artwork and superior cartography. This book fits that description; it is an excellent overview of the two battles. The only complaint that I would level against the book is that occasionally the author slips into an overly folksy grammar, which in my opinion was distracting.

Living Hell: The Dark Side of the Civil War, by Michael C.C. Adams. This book olooks at the reality of life during the WBTS period versus the way in which it is remembered now. The intervening years have cast a sometimes soothing and romantic glow over what was in reality an extremely violent and unstable period. People remember the heroic episodes of the war, but tend to "forget" the fact that a lot of terrible things occurred. Additionally, the 1860s were difficult period in which to live, period. This excellent book explores that relationship between reality and memory in the WBTS.

Dates

7/10/14 Brazos Rose Chapter Meeting

Facebook

Flag Pledges