Gen. Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Commander Oliver is out of town. He would like to encourage everyone to attend the Veteran's Day Parade in downtown Waco at 11 AM November the 11th. The awesome Camp # 129 Rifle Squad will be marching. If you want to see some OUTSTANDING SPECIMENS OF SOUTHERN MANHOOD please come and cheer them on.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting of the Waco Camp # 129 Sons of Confederate Veterans will November the 11th at Poppa Rollos Pizza, North Valley Mills Drive. Dinner will be at 6 PM, and the meeting will start at 7 PM. The speaker will be former camp commander Johnny Scarborough, whose topic is entitled "1863--The Beginning of World War I. Guests are invited. For more information go to www.scv-waco.org. 

Chaplain Comments

“For all we eat, and all we wear, our daily bread and nightly care, we thank thee Heavenly Father, Amen”

“Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep, and if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen”

These are two prayers that I prayed as a child since before I can remember. Simple? Yeah. Meaningful? They were to me. These prayers, that Mother instilled at an early age, taught two things; to be thankful for what we had and that God would provide what we might need. And another thing, we could talk to and petition the Ruler of the universe. Most would give much of what they possess to carry on a conversation with their favorite sports figure, movie star or other idol. Here we have the opportunity to talk with most powerful, omniscient and loving being to be imagined and most pass that up with such trivial excuses. I didn't have time; I was tired; I don't know how to pray, and on and on.

Jesus was a prayer warrior, mostly praying alone and for long periods of time.

(Mat 14:23) And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

(Mar 1;35) And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

We are told to “pray without ceasing”. (1Th 5:17) And in Romans 12:12, Paul speaks of “Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer.” Both of these conditions cannot be accomplished without praying mentally as we go about our daily duties. God does know what you are thinking.

More good advice. Jesus tells us in Mark 11:24, 25 “ Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” And in John 14:13, He says, “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” In Philippians 4:19, the promise is that, “my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Now that's not all your “wants” but needs!

Now that , hopefully, you have been convinced of the effects of prayer; what do we pray for? There are Brothers in the camp that need lifted before His throne of Grace. Some have had surgeries, and are to have surgery. As we age, (and some of us are getting “aged”) let's remember each other and our various needs and chronic maladies.

Pray for the leadership of this country. With election day tomorrow, we will shortly have some new faces in places of power that will need guidance from above.

Pray for our Christian martyrs in the middle east. Parents are witnessing their children executed before their very eyes for they will not denounce their Christian faith. Young men are being marched by the hundreds to execution at the hands of ISIS. I have seen pictures of these atrocities being committed; bodies hung on iron fences and the heads impaled; young children holding freshly decapitated heads and smiling. God help us! Surely these should command the attention of our most fervent prayers!

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16)

Deo Vindice

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Death in the Trenches: Grant at Petersburg, by William C. Davis and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This book is a volume in the superb Civil War series published by the late and lamented Time-Life Books in the late 1980s. As such it is a well illustrated and concise history of the campaign up to about the end of 1864. The final period of the campaign is covered in the Appomattox volume. The author is the old WBTS vet William C. Davis, who has written many books and was the editor of Civil War Time Illustrated back in the 1970s. While it is definitely not an overview like the National Park Service booklet series, it is a moderately in depth look at the siege and for that reason is highly recommended to the ordinary reader.

Out of the Storm: The End of the Civil War, April-June 1865, by Noah Andre Trudeau. This is the final volume of Mr. Trudeau's series which began with Bloody Roads South: The Wilderness to Cold Harbor, May-June 1864 and continued with The Last Citadel: Petersburg, Virginia, June 1864-April 1865. This book is different from the previous two in that it casts a broader perspective on the end of the war, as opposed to concentrating on the Virginia Theater like the first two books. He begins with the fall of Petersburg and moves to Appomattox. He then moves around a bit and chronicles a number of events that took place during the final days of the war including: the fall of Mobile, Alabama; the Battle of Palmitto Ranch; the Sultana Disaster on the Mississippi River; the surrender of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Department; the ammunition explosion at Mobile; Lincoln's assassination; and other events. Through all of these incidents Mr. Trudeau does an excellent job of conveying what it was like to live through these tumultuous times. This book is highly recommended.

American Indians and the Civil War, published by the National Park Service. This official National Park Service Handbook is a collection of essays by different authors on various aspects of American Indian involvement in the WBTS. This is an excellent little book, though, except for the chapter on the war in the Indian Territory (Oklahoma), very little of it concerns the Confederacy.

The Gates of the Alamo, by Stephen Harrigan. I am not a fan of historical novels, generally, but I enjoyed this book. Be warned that this book is rated R for language and content. It takes book fictional and historical characters and weaves them into the story of the Alamo in the fashion of Lonesome Dove. It is earthy and coarse, but the characters are interesting and the story flows along.

Dates

11/06/14  Brazos Rose Chapter meeting 6:00 p.m.

11/08/14  Flag Confederate graves at First Street Cemetery, Oakwood, etc. for Veterans Day

11/11/14  Attend or appear in Veterans Day Parade 10:30 a.m.

Newsletter Sign up

Facebook

Flag Pledges