Sons of Confederate Veterans - Waco

Felix H. Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

We held our annual camp officer's election at our December meeting. No one ran against me as commander. I will need a break at the end of this year. We have some good qualified members who would make great commanders. I will help someone, if they step forward toward the end of the year, and get started for the position in 2016. Cary Bogan, our current newsletter editor, has accepted the 1st LT Commander position for 2015, and will be in charge of getting speakers for the upcoming year. Call him, email him, or let him know at one of our meetings if you know someone who will come and give a talk at one of our meetings. Hayden Moody will continue as our chaplain for next year, and John Dickey will continue to serve as our adjutant & treasurer. Also, I am still working at getting our flagpole back up. The companies that I have contacted have been real busy all of 2014. They should be getting to a point where they can find time to help us soon. See ya'll on the 13 th for our January meeting when we will be honoring General Lee and General Jackson at our Lee-Jackson dinner. Mary Duty has come up with a buffet dinner again this year which will be $10 including drinks and tax. Tip is not included. Our own adjutant, John Dickey, will be our speaker. His talk will be on Colonel Speight, a Waco native, who served the Confederacy.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

Howdy! I am delighted to be your 1st LT Commander, again, actually. I feel that this position caters to my strengths as a WBTS bookworm and frustrated history professor. As Commander Oliver said above, ANY ideas that someone may have for a discussion topic, come see me. If you have a topic which you think MIGHT be a worthy program, come see me and I can help you put it together. Speaking before our camp is as easy as falling off a log; you are among friends. Those of you who read my book reviews know what my interests are: primarily military. Therefore, anyone who wants subjects that are not along those lines please come and see me.

On another note, with Commander Oliver's permission I would like to bring back the "Confederate(s) of the Month" feature where a member of the camp gives a short talk on his Confederate ancestor(s). I will start off in February. I would also like to have a short monthly feature where I discuss the events that took place during the WBTS during that month. Also, possibly, I might highlight one interesting book each month that members of the camp might find  enlightening.

As Commander Oliver noted, our speaker at the banquet will be our Adjutant, John Dickey, whose topic will be "JW Speight--Hero of Waco and the Confederacy". The banquet will begin at 6 PM, with the program beginning at 7 PM. 

Chaplain's Comments

New Year's greetings and my hope is for a prosperous and healthy 2015 for all Confederate brothers. The sesquicentennial celebration of the WBTS is soon to close. I am sure that the last four years have seemed shorter to us than those four experienced by our forefathers in the 1860's. Our visit to Chickamauga on the 150th anniversary of that battle and to walk the very ground where my great grandfather received his crippling wound, and his two brothers killed, had a sobering effect on me and made me appreciate the determination and dedication with which they served.

During this season of “resolution making”, let's become wiser as described in the book of Proverbs. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Prov 1:7) As age becomes a factor in living this life, the appreciation of wisdom has outgrown the acquisition of knowledge, though we are never too old to learn. Never has information been so abundant in the world's history, and never common sense so scarce.

It is important to keep in mind God's 'resolutions' (promises). So that we might keep His priorities straight; “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matt 6:33) “These things”, spoken of, concerns the basics of life and will become more and more valuable in this unstable world. The promises of God are the only thing that can be 100% depended upon, today and forever.

May God Bless and Deo Vindice.

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Vicksburg is the Key: The Struggle for the Mississippi River, by William L. Shea & Terrence J. Winschel. This book is another volume in the "Great Campaigns of the Civil War" series published by the University of Nebraska Press. The books in this series give a fresh look at Civil War campaigns using primarily recent secondary sources. While not necessarily original in content, these books give a more in depth from the military, political, and social points of view. This volume is a worthy addition to this series with its view of the Vicksburg Campaign. The book begins by placing the Mississippi River in its strategic context at the beginning of the war. The book covers all military operations in the vicinity of the city, including naval. This volume does an excellent job of giving an inclusive, yet not overly detailed view of this pivotal military campaign.

Hood's Tennessee Campaign: The Desperate Venture of a Desperate Man, by James R. Knight. This book is a volume in the "Civil War Sesquicentennial Series" by the History Press. This book is an excellent overview of the Spring Hill/Franklin/Nashville campaign of late 1864 which resulted in the virtual destruction of the Confederate Army of Tennessee under the command of General John Bell Hood. The man Hood is an integral part of this story, as shown by the subtitle of the book. Hood's record as a division commander in the Army of Northern Virginia was superb, but his place in history, unfortunately, will be overshadowed by this disastrous campaign. The author does a tremendous job of writing a narrative that is complete, but not overly detailed. The book is highly recommended.

The Battle of Pickett's Mill: Along the Dead-Line, by Brad Butkovich. This is another book in the "Civil War Sesquicentennial Series" by the History Press. The Battle of Pickett's Mill does not get alot of space in most histories of the WBTS, which is a shame. This was a savage little fight for its size. It took place during the Atlanta Campaign during one of Sherman's attempts to outflank the Army of Tennessee. Soldiers from Patrick Cleburne's crack Southern division stopped them cold, inflicting enormous casualties. Ultimately, Sherman was forced to abandon his outflanking attempt and move back toward the railroad in order to supply his troops. This book is a fine look at this battle.

Point Pleasant 1774: Prelude to the American Revolution, by John F. Winkler. This book is one of the Osprey Publishing Campaign Series and it deals with a nearly forgotten, but pivotal Indian battle that occurred as the American Revolution was about to kick off. The battle was between an Army of 1130 Virginia militiamen and  700 Shawnee and Mingo Indians in what is now West Virginia. While the Indians fought well, and inflicted more casualties than they suffered, they were ultimately defeated and forced to accede to white settlement of  what is now West Virginia and Kentucky. This is a well written little book.

Dates

01/13/15  Camp Meeting, Lee-Jackson Birthday Dinner @ 6:00 pm, $10.00

01/15/15  Brazos Rose Chapter Meeting @ 6:00 pm

01/19/1807 Robert E. Lee born

01/21/1824  Stonewall Jackson born 

Newsletter Sign up

Email type
Please wait

Social Media

Flag Pledges