Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Your commander traveled clear out to Midland to give a speech on Sul Ross. He was received very well. Since they are out in the middle of no where it becomes difficult at times to get speakers. We are very lucky being located right in the middle of the state. We have speakers from all over Texas. We are close to events such as the re-enactment in Temple, which will be held on the third weekend in May. I hope our rifle squad can get involved. The division holds their executive quarterly meetings in Lorena. All members are welcome to come to the meetings and see how the division is being run. Our adjutant, John Dickey, put a call into national and asked if Colenel Speight could receive a belated brigadier general's commission. The  National Commander, Kelly Barrows, told him that we could make him an "honorary general". He also agreed to come to Waco and make the presentation personally. John set it up with him to be at Oakwood Cemetery on March 28, which is a Saturday, at 10 AM to present the honorary position to our camp. Let's all plan on being there. Colonel Speight was one of Waco's greatest citizens. He helped organize the 15th Texas Infantry, was instrumental in getting the Masonic Grand Lodge to locate here, and at one time was president of the Texas Southern Baptist Convention. See ya'll Tuesday, February 10, at our monthly meeting.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

Our speaker for this month is Mr. John C. Waugh of Pantego, Texas. He is a noted author and historian with (according to Amazon) a dozen books on various aspects of the WBTS under his belt. Among these books are: The Class of 1846: From West Point to Appomattox--Stonewall Jackson, George McClellan and their Brothers; Sam Bell Maxey and the Confederate Indians; and Last Stand at Mobile. He has spoken before to this camp and I heard him 20 or so years ago when he spoke about his Class of 1846 book to the Civil Round Table of Waco. He is a fine speaker, someone who is passionate about the material  AND is a really good at giving talks. PLEASE bring and invite other people to come on the 10th of February at Poppa Rollos. His subject will be " Jackson and Ewell in the Valley, 1862". 

Chaplain Comments

With age comes the realization that a greater power than man rules the world and universe around us.  The perception of this fact, I attribute to maturity. A study of Daniel 2 helped me to come to the conclusion that someone out there knew the end from the beginning; and that would have to be the one who made it all, God.
That God has given us a way to communicate with Him through prayer. Not only the Bible but also secular literature records many instances of answered prayer. Miracles didn't just happen in Bible times, but are occurring currently all over the world. The promise of Jesus is; “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” (John 14:13) We are told (James 5 :16) “And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up.”

I am asking our compatriots to remember in your prayers; Norman Lovorn, and his wife, Jan. Norm has been in the VA hospital in Temple since January 28th with a blood clot of the heart and swelling of the stomach and legs. They are trying to disolve the clot with med since his heart is too weak for surgery. Norm's activity of mowing and tending at Fletcher Cemetery and the I-35 Memorial will curtailed for a spell.

Also, I checked on Charley Bates recently. Rather than surgery, they implanted pellets in one side of the liver to reduce the cancerous tissue. When that side is taken care of, they will do the other side. Charley was pleased to not “go under the knife”. Prayers for Charley, and Margie also, are in order. He assures me their intentions are to be at the meeting Tuesday night.

God bless all and “Deo Vindice”,

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Chancellorsville's Forgotten Front: The Battles of Second Fredericksburg and Salem Church, May 3, 1863, by Chris Mackowski and Kristopher D. White. This book is a look at two portions of the bigger Battle of Chancellorsville that usually do not get the attention they deserve. While Lee and Jackson were befuddling Hooker and the main body of the Union army around the Chancellorsville crossroads and in the Wilderness Jubal Early and a mere 10,000 men were assigned the duty of holding off another portion of the Federal army in the defensive positions at Fredericksburg. These were the same positions where Lee's entire army dealt a severe blow to Burnside in December, 1862. Though Early fought skillfully, he did not have enough men to hold off a much larger Union force. He was driven  off, first to the south. Then, after this Union force was stopped before it could link up with Hooker's main body, Early joined with other Southern troops detached from Lee's main force to drive them over the Rappahanock at the Battle of Salem Church. This book does an excellent job of describing the action at each of the battles and placing them in the larger context of the Battle of Chancellorsville.

The Confederacy's Last Hurrah: Spring Hill, Franklin, & Nashville, by Wiley Sword. This is the best book on John Bell Hood's invasion of Tennessee at the end of 1864. Mr. Sword is a superb writer who carries the reader along with Hood and the doomed Army of Tennessee. After the fall of Atlanta Hood futilely tried to cut Sherman's communications back to the north. When Sherman decided in effect, to ignore Hood and march to the sea across Georgia, Hood, in turn, decided on a desperate gambit to invade Union held Tennessee and hopefully go beyond. Badly outnumbered to begin with, the odds only got worse after a reverse at Spring Hill and the slaughter at Nashville. The final rout of the Army of Tennessee outside of Nashville in mid December, 1864, was pure anticlimax. This is a tragic and dramatic story that is very well told.

Gettysburg: A Journey in Time, by William A. Frassanito. This is another one in a series of books originally published in the 1970s that look at the photographic legacy of a particular WBTS campaign, in this case, the Battle of Gettysburg. This type of book may not appeal to everyone, but for someone like me who likes historical detail it is fascinating. The author groups most of the known Gettysburg photographs by photographer and geographic area of the battlefield and proceeds to analyze them. Alot of interesting details are discussed regarding how and when the pictures were made and where exactly the photos were taken. This book is recommended for the extremely hardcore WBTS fan.

The Battle of Beecher's Island and the Indian War of 1867-1869, by John H. Monnett. This book is a look at a now obscure, but once very well known Indian fight that occurred in a remote part of Colorado. A group of civilian contract scouts under U.S. army command were trapped on a small island in the Arickaree River by a large party of Cheyenne and Lakota warriors, where they endured a weeklong siege. Compared to just about anything in the WBTS this was barely a battle: five of the scouts and a mere nine Indians were slain. However, at the time it was as well known as the Wagon Box Fight in Wyoming. This is an excellent book for western history buffs.

Dates

02/10/15  Camp Meeting

03/02/15  Texas Independence Day (1836)- Fly your Texas and Rebel flags 

03/10/15   Camp Meeting

03/19/15   Brazos Rose Meeting

03/28/15  Speight presentation at Oakwood-10 am

04/17-19/15 Reenactment at Mexia Confederate Reunion Grounds

Facebook

Flag Pledges