Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

We are less than a month away from our March 28th ceremonies. We need to vote on money to bring the band to the Colonel Speight ceremony. We need to invite surrounding camps, UDC groups, & Order of the Confederate Rose to help us and be a part of this one along with the two other events. After we do the one for Colonel Speight we can go to our flagpole on IH-35 and re-dedicate it. A gentleman from Virginia, Josh Phillips,  will be here to help us do a ceremony for Ira Sadler. He was a Confederate soldier in the 7th Texas Infantry and was, at one time, the color bearer. Mr. Phillips will bring the original flag that Sadler carried and it has some blood stains on it from a wound that Sadler received at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee. This will take place at a cemetery near Gatesville that same afternoon. Let's all pray that we will have our flag back up on IH-35 by then, along with the lights & camera. We also need to pray for good weather on that day. More to come at our March 10th monthly meeting. 

Lieutenant Commander Comments

Our speaker for the March camp meeting is Mr. Charles Hayes, who is a Life Member of the James P. Douglas Camp # 124 of Tyler, Texas. His topic will be "Civil War Limericks". This presentation will be a lighthearted look at Civil War history using visual caricatures along with narration.

Chaplain Comments

It seems only a couple of months ago we were noting the sesquicentennial of Fort Sumter being fired on, marking the beginning of the war between the states.  How quickly these forty eight months have passed, much faster than the same period our ancestors in gray experienced some 150 years ago.  It probably came as a welcome relief to many who lost their lives; their time cut short defending the land they loved.  No more slogging through the mud, experiencing the gnawing pangs of hunger, and facing the terror of what might lay in wait ahead.  And, thank God, those Southern men who survived, as did my ancestors (both maternal and paternal), overcame Reconstruction, and raised families before PTSD was ever recognized.  I am proud to be the prodigy of Confederate soldiers!

Update on Norm Lovorn:  As those who were at our February meeting know, Norm was just out of the hospital but attended that meeting.  This month he has been back in the Temple VA hospital for more treatment and blood thinners, but was released last week.  Let's continue to keep Norm, his wife, Jan, on our prayer list for continued improvement in his health and help kicking the nicotine.

If anyone knows of members to put on our prayer list, let me know.  Cell 254-855-4569 (txt or call), or E-mail <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>.

Deo Vindice and keep Him smilin'!

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

What the Yankees Did to Us: Sherman's Bombardment and Wrecking of Atlanta, by Stephen Davis. This book is by the author of Atlanta Will Fall: Sherman, Joe Johnston, and the Yankee Heavy Battalions, a book which I thoroughly enjoyed. This book is a detailed look at Sherman's artillery bombardment of Atlanta prior to the city's fall, and the destruction carried out after the city's occupation and prior to Sherman's March to the Sea.  Let me emphasize that again. This book is very DETAILED. I am someone who likes historical detail and is not intimidated by thick books. This one, though, is perhaps the most detailed book I have ever read. The author emphasizes that Sherman was not concerned by the fact that there were civilians in the city. He could not have cared less. One gets the impression that every single shell that the yankees fired into the city is accounted for by Mr. Davis. To be clear, though the yankees expended a large amount of ordnance on the city, they, in fact, inflicted very fell casualties. The author also goes into great detail on the Union destruction of the city when they departed for the coast. It was supposed to be limited to structures of military utility, but, depending on who was executing the order and circumstances, civilian house were destroyed. In particular, houses owned by known members of the Southern government or military were not spared in many cases. This is a very good, though extremely detailed book.

Sherman's March: Atlanta to the Sea, by David Nevin and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This is another excellent volume in the Time-Life Civil War series. Unfortunately, Time-Life Books is no more, but these books are readily available on the secondary market at either used book stores or online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Despite the title, this book also covers J.B. Hood's ill starred campaign into central Tennessee that ended at the Battle of Nashville. Like all Time-Life Books this volume is characterized by crisp, writing, excellent illustrations, and superb maps.

Sherman's March to the Sea 1864: Atlanta to Savannah, by David Smith. This is a volume in the Osprey Campaign Series. Like most of the volumes in the series this is a very good overview of Sherman's March and, like the previous book, it covers Hood's Tennessee Campaign as well.  The Osprey books are noted for their excellent color plates, as well as notable cartography including their distinctive birds eye views. 

New Orleans 1815: Andrew Jackson Crushes the British, by Tim Pickles. This is another Osprey Campaign Series book from a few years back. The series was not quite as polished, then, but this is still an excellent volume. My son and I made a trip in January to New Orleans for the bicentennial of the battle, so there will be a few New Orleans related books in this column for the next few months. One of the big myths of the War of 1812 and the Battle of New Orleans was that the battle was fought after the war was over. The Treaty of Ghent had been signed, but had yet been ratified by the U.S. Senate. My guess is that if the British seized the city of New Orleans that the war would have continued because the control of the mouth of the Mississippi by a foreign power would have been intolerable to just about everyone in the United States. 

Dates

Facebook

Flag Pledges