Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Saturday, March 28th, was a red letter day for our camp. We held thew commissioning ceremony making Colonel J.W. Speight an honorary Brigadier General in the Confederate Army. We had both our National Commander, Kelly Barrow, as well as our Division Commander, Johnny Holley, on hand to help. Don Davis, the head of the Historic Waco Foundation, accepted the certificate and it will be put on display at one of the historic homes here in Waco. Since we had the two distinguished guests here we took advantage of it by holding a re-dedication ceremony at our flagpole on IH-35. The Heritage Brass Band was here to add color to both occasions. John Dickey, our adjutant, did a great job putting together the commissioning ceremony for Brigadfier General Speight. We had quite a few local camp members at each ceremony and visitors from the surrounding camps. I wish more of our local members could have taken part in either of these. We broke for lunch and then headed to Coryell City to the Sadler Cemetery. Several years ago we  put a marker on the grave of Ensign Ira Sadler, a member of the 7th Texas Infantry company from the Waco area. Josh Phillips, a gentleman from Virginia, had in his possession the flag that Sadler carried during the war as a color bearer. The blood on the flag is believed to be his since he was wounded in the hand at the Battle of Franklin which is where the yankees captured the flag. More than 25 people, including friends & relatives of the Sadlers were there at the cemetery to greet us. All in all, it was a great day for our camp. I am very pleased at the manner in which our camp showed their love for these great men and women who answered their country's call when asked. See ya'll on the 14th for our monthly camp meeting.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The speaker for our April camp meeting on April 14th will be long time camp member Markum Dossett. His topic will be "Holt Collier: The Black Cowboy and Confederate Veteran". He gave this talk many, many moons ago and I guarantee that it is interesting. Please, feel free to bring guests to the meeting on the 14th.

Chaplain Comments

I am sure that these past four years have passed with much more rapidity than did the 1861-1865 span. This month we'll see the passing of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the end to four years of carnage and destruction in these Southern States of America. We can but imagine what this country would be like had its differences been settled in a less violent manner. On the other hand, one cannot stand idly by when their homeland is invaded with the intent of subjugation. May God bless those who paid with life and limb for the Cause in which they so dearly believed. May we, their prodigy, never be ashamed to pay tribute to their courageous exploits at every opportunity.

Let's continue to remember our faithful compatriot, Norm Lovorn, in our daily prayers. He is back in the Temple VA for the second time since our last meeting. Fluid retention and clotting are his main health concerns.

For those of you who have internet available you might want to check this site out for a description of events leading up to Lee's surrender and some of the comments of present day readers. Interesting reading.

http://blog.fold3.com/tmih-lee-surrenders-to-grant-april-9-1865/?xid=1841&utm_source=tmih&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tmih-april-2015

Hope all of you had a pleasant Easter.

Deo Vindice!

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Battles for Atlanta: Sherman Moves East, by Ronald H. Bailey and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This is yet another excellent volume in the Time-Life Civil War series. As the book says, this volume covers the campaign from the first Union moves against Rocky Face Ridge to the Confederate evacuation of Atlanta. Like the other books in the series this volume has excellent pictorial sections. Particularly noteworthy are sections with photographs of Atlanta after its fall and an excellent one showing photographs of the terrain between Chattanooga and Atlanta. The volume is also noted for its excellent maps. Like all the volumes in the series this one is highly recommended.

The Shenandoah in Flames: The Valley Campaign of 1864, by Thomas A. Lewis and the Editors of Time-Life Books. As you might have guessed, with the 150th anniversary of the WBTS I have been rereading a number of books, including the Time-Life series on the Civil War. I have been doing it in conjunction with other, more detailed books on the same subjects. I find that these books, along with the Osprey Campaign series, are an excellent introduction for reading a number of books on a complex topics. The same points which I made on the previous review apply to this book. This book concludes with the slam bang battle at Cedar Creek, which drove the Confederacy out of the Shenandoah for good.

Shenandoah 1864: Sheridan's Valley Campaign, by Mark Lardas, illustrated by Adam Hook. The Osprey Campaign series are excellent introductory volumes to their particular topics, and this one is no exception. Superb writing combined with superior maps and excellent artwork combine to make this a great book for  the beginning reader as well as the expert. Additionally, the Osprey Campaign books have a section at the end of each volume with information on visitor sightseeing at each battlefield. I have a trip planned to the Harper's Ferry area to visit my sister in laws family and so this will come in very handy.  

The British at the Gates: The New Orleans Campaign in the War of 1812, by Robin Reilly. This book is the ultimate source on the Battle of New Orleans. This book is unique in that it places the Battle of New Orleans in context within both the larger picture of the War of 1812 AND the broader picture of the Napoleonic Wars. One of the ironies of the war is that the United States chose the moment to declare war against Britain in which the tide began to decisively turn against Napoleon. In my opinion the good ole USA was lucky to keep all of its territory as a result of the War of 1812.  The author does give an excellent and very detailed description of the New Orleans campaign in which it becomes clear that despite the lopsided nature of the final battle things could easily have gone the other way. This is an excellent book.

Dates

04/11/15   11:00 am--  Dedicate statue of Cleburne at Justice Center in Cleburne

04/17/15  Mexia-Confederate Reunion Grounds-Living History, School Day

04/18 & 19/15  Mexia-Confederate Reunion Grounds-Reenactments

04/26/15   Confederate Memorial Day-Flag graves of Confederate veterans

05/12/15   SCV Camp meeting-Poppa Rollos

05/15,16,17/15  Temple-Living History, Reenactments

05/25/15  Memorial Day-Flag Confederate veterans' graves 

Facebook

Flag Pledges