Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

What can I say? We have had this fear for a long time. Our Southern heritage is being attacked from all sides. All the great and noble things that our forefathers did are being washed down the drain by a young, deranged youth in South carolina. The woman governor there, with no backbone, has given in to the ones who shout the loudest. Here we sit afraid to say anything because we fear being called a rascist. Well, I do not care anymore. This will be between the Good Lord and me, not some idiot who hates the South and will do anything to downgrade us. All of this reminds me of the early Christians, such as Paul and peter, who feared for their lives just about every day they preached about the Good News of Jesus, our Lord. We will have to stand together and hope this blows over. I am in the process of getting a price for National who will pay for us to put up a larger flag & pole on IH35. We will discuss this and more at our July 14 meeting. See you there.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The speaker for the next meeting on July 14th will be Larry and Pam Wilhoite of Waxahachie. Their talk is entitled "Texans and their Confederate Flags". This is very appropriate considering all of the nuttiness which has, seemingly, broken out everywhere.

A Word from our Friendly Neighborhood Adjutant

1. Registrations are now due and payable on or before July 31. Please make sure that you include the full amount of $43.00. If you do not receive your payment notice from National HQ by July 25, 2015 please contact me at 254-754-5742.

2. Now is a good time to recruit new members. Invite all you can to our meetings or give them my number. I have had three people call me in the past two weeks about joining. GET THE WORD OUT and let the people know WHO WE ARE!

Thanks

John Dickey

Chaplain Comments

It is with heavy heart that I write these comments, since the recent turmoil caused by a psychotic individual murdering nine children of God, refusal of the US Supreme Court denying SCV license plates in Texas, the ACA being declared a just law by said court, and then comes the grand decision of these black robed statists concerning same sex marriage. This has been a sad ten days in American history! We see in these decisions the effects of our Lost Cause; the transformation of this country's government from a Constitutional Republic formed by a compact of sovereign states to a centralized oligarchy. Back when I studied Civics, laws were made by the legislative branch, not the courts and executive branch of government.

As you may know, I recently did an interview with a reporterette from News 10 about our Texas Division's failure to receive the OK for SCV vanity plates. Little did I know at the time of the interview that Dr. Peaches Henry of the NAACP would be on to air her views on the subject. Also, I did not know that she would be allowed to imply that our organization is a hate group. Her quote was, "It saddens us to think that a state would allow a flag to be put on bumpers or on license plates, a flag that they know is related to any grouop that would hate another group". It saddens me that she disregards the many thousands of black men that faithfully served the Confederacy in defense of their homeland under that flag. But, though we have our differences, if we ever meet, I will give Dr. Peaches a big brotherly hug, for I still love her as a child of God.

Speaking of Godly acts! Didn't it do your heart proud the way the families of those killed in SC forgave the perp. If they didn't epitomize Godly love and Southern culture, I don't know what could have been done any better. Praise God! What a blessing they are to their community.

Fellow members of the camp, we are just begininng to see what is in store for our beloved flag and other southern symbols. The race baiters have to keep the pot stirring or they are of no use to themselves or anyone else. It is heard, but to be checked out, that Middle TN State U. is considering changing the name of its Forrest Hall; TN is considering recalling their SCV vanity plates; talk of renaming US military posts named for CSA generals; and, of course, the Davis statue at U of TX. Next thing you know Stone Mt in GA will come under duress. But Toxey Cathey and David Gilliam brought to my attention a quote by Sir William Wallace (of Braveheart fame) made in 1281, "Any society which suppresses the heritage of it's conquered minorities, prevents their history, and denies them of their symbols, has sown the seeds of it's own destruction." Does not this statement fit the times we live in?

Another worthy quote worth being repeated is from Ronald Reagan, "We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each American citizen is responsible for his actions". Should we bar membership in Gold's Gyms? Roof was wearing one of their tee shirts at the same time he was displaying a Confederate battle flag. 

Update on Norm Lovorn's health issues. Norm is presently back in Temple VA. They are trying to get his potassium levels regulated prior to surgery. It is presumed that he will be moved to Providence this week for open heart surgery. Let's continue to lift him before God's throne in prayer that His will be done.

Deo Vindice!

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Appomattox Campaign: March 29-April 9, 1865, by Chris M. Calkins. Mr. Calkins is a National Park Service Ranger who has studied extensively the Appomattox Campaign. This book, part of the "Great Campaigns" series published by the late Combined Books, is an excellent and valuable look at the military operations of the campaign. The book is noted for it's excellent and detailed tactical maps and the numerous informative sidebars throughout the book. The sidebars covered numerous interesting and relevant topics to the campaign such as: the use of black soldiers, the numbers and losses in the campaign, the last generals to die in the war, and Lee's Retreat today. The book begins with Gordon's assault on Fort Stedman, which began the series of events leading to the fall of Petersburg. This is an excellent book for both a novice historian as well as a more experienced WBTS buff.

The Assassination: Death of the President, by Champ Clark and the Editors of Time-life Books. This is the next to last volume of the Time-Life series "The Civil War". Like the rest of the books in this series this volume is well written, and profusely illustrated. The Time-Life Civil War series is so well done that they can be recommended to both the seasoned WBTS reader, and the newbie.  

20 Good Reasons to Study the Civil War, by John C. Waugh. Mr. Waugh was our speaker several months back. This is a short and interesting guide aimed at the novice historian who is contemplating a more detailed plunge into the history of the WBTS.  The author uses the 20 Reasons to provide a hook for someone to develop an interest in the WBTS period. This book is recommended for younger readers.

American Revolution: Continental Versus Redcoat, by David Bonk. This book is a volume in the Osprey "Combat"  Series. It is a short, descriptive look at the fighting men of the Revolutionary War: what they looked like, how they fought, and how they lived.  It uses a comparative style with excellent artwork to lead up to an  examination of  three clashes between these soldiers. Osprey Books are not that detailed, but this book definitely provides  enough to interest a devotee of this period.

Dates

07/09-8/1/15 : Civil War Exhibit at Hewitt Public Library- INCLUDING:

07/11/15 @ 11:00 a.m. "Music & Attire of the Civil War" by Michelle Herbelin & Laura Fisher-Hewitt Public Library

07/25/15 @ 11:00 a.m. "Andrew's Raid-The Great Locomotive Chase of 1862"-  "       "                       "               "           "

07/20/15  Deadline to sign up for Sam Davis Youth Camp (07/26-08/1)

08/11/15  Camp 129 meeting @ Poppa Rollos 6:00 p.m.,speaker @ 7:00 p.m.

08/27/15  Brazos Rose Chapter 56 meeting @ 6:00 p.m.-Conference Room, West Waco Library

Facebook

Flag Pledges