Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

It happened again. Our flag on IH35 has been stolen. The rope, which is steel reinforced, was also cut. I have been getting in touch with national to get help from them on putting up a larger flag with better protection. They are in the process of getting $5000 to send to us to put up a larger flag (15ft. by 10 ft.) with a taller pole. The pole will have the halyard rope on the inside and to get to it you will have to have a key to get in. We are thinking about putting up a chain link fence 6 ft high around the monument and flagpole. Once again, it will have a locked gate on it with a motion camera on so we can see if anyone is trying to take down the flag. I have already asked the Texas Division for help and we will have to spend some of our camp money also. If we do not secure it properly it will be cut down again. We have had five more requests to join our camp along with the other three that have already shown up. I was told that this is going on throughout Texas and the other Southern states as well. If that is what it takes to get more members, so be it. Nobody ever told us that life was fair and just. Being a believer in Christ does not automatically mean that life will be easy. However, if you are a believer, you know you have The Right One on your side.

I might be at the Denton Camp on our meeting night to give a talk. Cary Bogan will take command of the meeting if I am not there.

Commander Oliver

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting for the Waco SCV Camp # 129 will on the 11th of August at Poppa Rollos Pizza on North Valley Mills Drive  at 7 PM , with dinner at 6 PM. The speaker will be our very own Koby Westbrook whose topic will be "Five Forks: The Waterloo of the Confederacy". Guests and the general public  are encouraged to come.

Chaplain Comments

Let's continue to lift up our compatriots in prayer for the restoration of health. We need to remember Norm Lovorn and Charlie Bates. If there are others I have missed, please let me know at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 254-855-4569. Remember, Jesus Christ promised, (Matt. 21:22) "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive". Also, (John 14:14) "If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it".

The following story demonstrates how God sometimes answers our prayers without us even realizing it.

Deo Vindice, Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Taken from "Could It Be This Simple?", by Dr. Timothy R. Jennings, MD, a psychiatrist.

"As commander of an M1A1 Abrams battle tank, Sergeant Jones managed one of the most powerful military vehicles in the world and was assigned to one of the armored divisions preparing to invade Iraq. While his military skills had earned him a measure of respect among his colleagues, his strong Christian beliefs had also provided him with a reputation throughout the battalion as a person of God.

With final preparations for invasion underway, Sergeant Jones asked the battalion chaplain for a container of sacred oil to anoint his tank. Using the oil, Sergeant Jones made small crosses around the entire perimeter of the vehicle's hull, and dedicated himself, his men, and his tank to God. Among his prayers he asked that God not only protect him and his men in the approaching battle, but that He would use him in a mighty way".

It was soon learned that the company commander's radio was inoperable and Jones was ordered to give up his radio as communication between the company and battalion was absolutely necessary. Under threat of arrest and court martial, the sergeant relinquished his radio leaving his tank 'deaf' on the field of battle.

As darkness fell and the soldiers mounted their vehicles to begin the invasion, Sergeant Jones discovered that his night vision gear had ceased to operate. Now, both deaf and blind on the field of battle, Jones requested to withdraw, which was denied. Unable to distinguish friend from foe, he could not fire with accuracy, but still could draw the fire of the enemy. "Almost immediately after the invasion began, Sergeant Jones' company engaged the enemy and found themselves enveloped in fire from multiple sources: tank, mortar, artillery, and helicopter gunships. The night was ablaze with thunderous noise and exploding shells, vehicles, and the screams of injured men. Several units in Jones' company received hits. His entire crew feared that death was eminent".

Four years after his service in Desert Storm, Sergeant Jones visited my office seeking help with a variety of problems: nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, sleep difficulty, etc. During the next several sessions I became well acquainted with Sergeant Jones, what was important in his life, what motivated him, and how his Desert Storm experiences had affected him. His core conflict centered on the belief that God let him down. Soon I presented him with a series of statements that I believe summarized what he had experienced in Desert Storm and his acknowledgement would be essential to overcoming the trauma.

"You were a Christian. You made a public display of your Christianity. You put oil crosses all over your tank and dedicated yourself, your tank, and your men to God. You went into battle blind and deaf. And when your company came under attack, several other units were hit, but not one bullet, shell, or piece of shrapnel damaged your tank".

"After he had acknowledged each statement as true, I concluded, "Your Desert Storm experience reminds me of Daniel in the lion's den.' " (Daniel 6:7-27) 

Confederate Book Reviews

The Petersburg Campaign: Volume 1 The Eastern Front Battles, by Edwin C. Bearss with Bryce A. Suderow. This book is a compilation of five essays by famed National Park historian Edwin C. Bearss written when he was assigned to the Petersburg battlefield park in the 1960s. There is a connecting essay written by another historian on the Battle of the Crater for the purpose of completeness. In general, these essays cover the Petersburg battles that occurred during the initial assaults on the city as well as the battles that were fought around the Weldon Railroad. A second volume covers the battles that were fought farther west, such as Fort Gregg, Five Forks, etc. An editor supplied connecting material between the essays. These essays are excellent. Well written and detailed, I thoroughly enjoyed them, though they might be overly detailed for folks  who are less battle oriented than I am. There are excellent maps provided, though they do not cover every aspect of the battlefield maneuvers. Though expensive, I highly recommend this volume to WBTS buffs.

Bushwhacking on a Grand Scale: The Battle of Chickamauga, September 18-20, 1863, by William Lee White. This book is another volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series" by Savas Beatie Publishing. This book adds to that fine series. Chickamauga, in my estimation, is one of the most complex battles of the entire war, and every book on the subject has to wade through the confusing series of attacks, counterattacks, and blundering movements in order to describe the battle. This book does an excellent job of  making this complex engagement more comprehensible. It is provided with the usual outstanding maps, illustrations, and on site touring directions that are a hallmark of this series.  This is a great book.

The Nation Reunited: War's Aftermath, by Richard Murphy and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This is the last volume in the Time-Life Series on the Civil War. Like all of the others it is a well put together and informative book. The book begins with a look at the immediate postwar divisions in the North, specifically over how reconstruction was to be carried out in the South. It covers the victory of the radicals in the US Congress and the nation's postwar move west. It concludes with a chapter on the end of reconstruction in the South and a brief look at the war in the national memory.

Dakota Dawn: The Decisive First Week of the Sioux Uprising, August 17-24, 1862, by Gregory F. Michno. Gregory Michno is one of the best western history writers around who specializes in histories that use extensive first person accounts. This book is an indepth look at a major uprising that occurred in Minnesota during the Civil War. Despite the timing, and accusations by some Northerners, the South had no role in the outbreak. The Santee Sioux were treated poorly by the Federal reservation agency personnel. Numerous grievances over a protracted period of time led to a surprise explosion that resulted in the slaughter of over 400 settlers. In contrast, only one Sioux died. Most of the settlers were of German, Swedish, or Norwegian origin, with absolutely no culture of firearms use or ownership. One town, New Ulm, and one fort, Fort Ridgely, were attacked head on, unsuccessfully. The events of this uprising led to the largest mass execution in the United States--thirty-eight Indians were hanged.

Dates

08/27/15  Brazos Rose Chapter Meeting @ West Waco Library,  6:00 p.m.

09/08/15  Camp 129 meeting at Poppa Rollo's, 6:00 Eat, 7:00 p.m. Speaker

Facebook

Flag Pledges