Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Yes, I know we still do not have a flag flying on IH-35. National has found someone to pitch in $2500 and they will match it with another $2500. The new pole with the halyard rope on the inside, plus the installation of it, and a new larger flag will pretty much use up the $5000. We have already voted on spending the money on a fence to go around the monument & pole. We have someone offering us a free motion camera, but we will need to pay someone to fix a place to mount it so no one can destroy it without going to alot of trouble. I can't believe that we have to go through all this trouble to keep a flag flying , but we do. The Lord has blest us with money to do what is necessary to keep the flag flying. He never promised us that life would be easy. I feel like we are doing the right thing and that is what matters. I look forward to seeing all of you at our next meeting on the 13th. I hope to have a report as to how many new members we have since what happened in South Carolina. Be sure and greet everyone at our next meeting, especially the ones that you do not recognize as members who attend most of our meetings.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The speaker for the October camp meeting will be yours truly, your beloved 1st Lieutenant  Commander Cary Bogan. The talk is entitled  "The End: The Last Days of the Confederacy in the Trans-Mississippi Department". This is the story of the end of the war in Texas and the surrounding area. The camp meeting will be on October 13th at Poppa Rollos Pizza on N Valley Mills Drive. Dinner is at 6 PM with the meeting starting at 7 PM. Visitors, as always, are welcome AND encouraged to come.

Chaplain Comments

The last weekend of September I had the pleasure of attending a reunion of "four families" that migrated from SC to Alabama in the early to mid 1800s. This was in Blount County AL, where the Battle Flag is still proudly displayed at homes, front yards, pickup trucks, and roadside private property. This, and the incident that recently took place in Oregon, where individuals were executed because they professed Christianity, refreshed my resolve to be prepared for what, I feel, is in store for us in the future. Are you ready to give all for what you profess, whether it be our Lord, Jesus Christ, or our Southern culture, or both?

The following is a portion of two letters written during the war by a member of the CSA that came to my attention while in Alabama. Does his writing not exude dedication and determination for the task before him? I pray for the fortitude to stand for the principles that I believe in, as this young man did, when called upon.

An excerpt of a letter written by Capt. Marion Brindley, to his sister, from camp near Chattanooga, September 3rd, 1863.

"I look for a fight in this vicinity soon, and it will be a bloody one. I think that we will hold the river and drive the enemy back....

Who will fall and who will survive, Heaven only knows. I do not despair of final success. When I do I will be willing to die the death of a martyr on any battle field on Southern soil, subjugated, I have little desire to live, at best, and when I die I have nothing to leave Mary and Lula better than the ashes of a fallen patriot on some blood-stained battle field. If we are conquered, and I survive, I cannot live under the Lincoln government. I can manage to get to Havana or some foreign port. But we shall not be conquered, we cannot be! There, why trouble you with this nonsense. Trust in God and all yet will be well."

SAD NEW OF DEATH: The following is an extract from a letter written by Thaddeous Marion Brindley announcing the death of his brother,  Mace, in the Battle of Chickamauga. Marion Brindley was a captain  in Deas' Brigade, 1st AL, who later fell in battle before Atlanta, being one of five sons of Asa Brindley, Cherokee Co. AL, who gave their lives in the Lost Cause.

"Dear Father and Mother'

It becomes my painful duty to impart the melancholy tidings of the death (I fear) of Mace. He received, I think, a mortal wound of a minnie ball in the left breast, penetrating the left lung, in the battle Sunday morning. I did not know it at the moment although nearly at my side. When the charge was over and we returned, I found him and carried him to the hospital where IO was forced to leave him and return to my command. I got to see him again on Monday, and heard yesterday, still leaving no hope of recovery. He is very calm and quite rational, talking freely about death, is convinced he must die, and seems resigned.

He said that he made preparation years ago to meet death when it came. He feels hopeful he is prepared, says he did not expect to be killed in the war, desired to see his wife and children and die at home, did hope to raise his children but is resigned to the will of God. He admonished me to prepare for death. He requested me to write to Ollie, she must consider this as her's as one letter tells it all. As soon as I learn more I will write again if I get a chance to send it, which I cannot always do."

Let us continue to remember members of our camp who are acutely or chronically ill; especially our compatriot, Normon Lovorn. Cary Bogan is to have Bilateral Knee Replacement on the 20th of this month.

Confederate Book Reviews

The West Point History of the Civil War, by various authors. When I went to the academy in the early 1980s the military history textbooks used were a series of gray covered books keyed to a matching atlas. These are available commercially to the general public and are highly recommended. The gray book set that I used are still very useful, as well as the previous series which consists of an atlas with corresponding text on the opposite page; this series was replaced by the gray  books in the late 1970s. Now the academy has decided to replace the gray books with a new series of books. The Civil War text in question here is the first in the new series. It is a very handsome, glossy sort of book, but I am not sure if it is an improvement. Instead of writing it in house the History Department contracted with five leading historians to write the chapters: Mark Neely, Joseph Glatthaar, Steven Woodworth, Earl Hess, and James Hogue. Yet, despite this, I was not that impressed with the book. The course is The History of the Military Art, not a social history of the Civil War. It should deal with military affairs. Too much time was spent in the book dealing with social issues with a marginal impact on the course of military affairs. Overall, I still thought the book was worth reading, but as a military history text it was lacking. In some ways, it is a nice coffee table book. I add that this is my opinion; others may thoroughly enjoy the book and that is their privilege.

Strike Them a Blow: Battle along the North Anna River, May 21-25, 1864, by Chris Mackowski. This is another volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series"  published by Savas Beatie of California. The battles along the North Anna tend to get lost in the shuffle between the Battles at the Spotsylvania Courthouse and the Battle of Cold Harbor. That is unfortunate because at the North Anna Lee had an opportunity to inflict major damage upon the Army of the Potomac. Unfortunately, the blow did not materialize because General Lee was very ill. Lee and his engineers devised a unique trap using an upside down V shaped and the waters of the North Anna River to split the Federal army into three segments, each of which had to cross a river to add the other parts. This book is a well written  and concise account of that period with  excellent travel directions thrown in.

War on the Frontier: The Trans-Mississippi West, Alvin Josephy Jr. and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This is a volume in the Time-Life Civil War series, and as the title says it covers the war beyond the Mississippi River including Indian campaigns. Like all the books in this series this is a superb volume: well written with fantastic artwork. The only criticism might be that the chapters are not in chronological order. The five chapters cover the New Mexico Campaign; the Red River Campaign; the Minnesota Indian Uprising; Indian campaigns in the far west; and the fighting in Arkansas, Missouri, and the Indian Territory.

1775: A Good Year for Revolution, by Kevin Phillips. The thesis of this book is that the emphasis on the year 1776 in American history is misplaced; actually, 1775 and before were more critical to the coming revolution. This is an excellent book, but...it is extremely detailed. The economics, social structure, and political organization of each colony is examined in minute detail. Each colony was very different resulting in differing levels of enthusiasm for the revolutionary cause. This is a fascinating, but very in depth book.  

Dates

10/12/1870--R.E. Lee died. Fly the flag at half mast. You know which one.

10/13/15  Waco Camp meeting at Poppa Rollo's-6:00 eat, 7:00 speaker Cary Bogan

10/13/15  Flags for sale at the Camp meeting by the Brazos Rose Chapter. $10.00 each!  3' x 5' Assorted types.

10/16/15  15th Annual Genealogy Lock-In at the West Waco Library-- noon to 10:30 p.m.--Our camp always has a                       table 

10/17/15  Oakwood Cemetery Walking Tales--10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.--several of our camp members will speak at                      Confederate grave sites 

11/11/15    Veteran's Day---Parade, Memorial Service, Flag Confederate graves, etc.

Facebook

Flag Pledges