Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

There are several important issues that I would like to bring up. First, we have been approved by National to receive $5000 to help us put up a new flagpole on IH-35. The new 50' pole, with the halyard rope on the inside, and having it set in concrete should run pretty close to $4000. We need to spend money, out of our camp fund., to put up a chain link fence around the pole and monumemts, and to add motion cameras, and lighting to shine on the bottom of the pole as well as another light to shine on the flag. Also, we will be voting on new officers to run our camp. Cary Bogan has thrown his hat in the ring to run for Commander. He has handled this job before. I will run for Lt. Commander, and be in charge of our recruiting and maintaining membership. John Dickey will remain adjutant and Hayden Moody will remain our chaplain. If anybody wants to run for any of these positions, it will not hurt the feelings of those mentioned. We can always use new blood in our membership. If there are any other positions that we need to fill, please bring it up at our December 8 meeting. See you there.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting for the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 will be on the 8th of December at Poppa Rollos Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. The meeting will begin at 7 PM, with optional dinner at 6 PM for those who want it. The speaker will be our very own camp chaplain, Hayden Moody, whose topic will be "Obedience: An Ugly Word?". Guests are welcome and encouraged.

Adjutant's Call

I got word from National that they are now down to approximately 6 weeks in processing new applications! We now have 56 members who have paid their dues, including the new members. Our next scheduled project will be for MEMORIAL DAY 30 May 2016. In between, we will have Confederates Day in Mexia, and the Temple reenactment the 2nd weekend in May. Our Memorial Day participation  needs more than just the Honor Guard at that event. We have lost one of our loyal guard members, Normon Lovorn. If anyone is interested in joining the Honor Guard and has a uniform, I have two rifles available-the 1851 Springfield and the Ketland rifles.

Thanks

John Dickey

Chaplain Comments

It is with deep regret that I inform the members of our camp of the passing of our friend and Compatriot, Normon Lovorn. A kinder soul you would never meet; one who was always ready to pitch in and get the job done, whether it was mowing a cemetery, or memorial site or donning the Confederate uniform for duty as color guard. Norm's tenacity was evident during most of 2015 as he battled various ailments that would have overwhelmed most of less fortitude. Our most sincere condolences are extended to his wife, Jan, and children, Megan, John, Daniel, and Stephen. Rest in Peace, Brother.

let's include member Koby Westbrook, and his mother Ann, in our prayers of consolation. Koby's maternal grandmother, Betty Westbrook, died on November 25th.

Lt. Commander Cary Bogan is out of the rehab facility following bilateral knee replacement October 20th and doing well. He is still continuing the exercise therapy of knee bends and stretches; come on 85 degrees. (That's accepted as normal)

I agreed upon short notice to speak before the camp this coming meeting, so I hope you will not be offended by a remodeled sermon; I will shorten it. As yet I have never spoken before our camp on a subject of a "Chaplain" nature, but since we are nearing the season we celebrate the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ, I felt you might tolerate the exploration of the subject, "Obedience; An Ugly Word"? No military organization can function without discipline and teaching military personnel to obey is of the first order, so what about us as Christian soldiers? Should we not obey our Supreme Commander? After all, He set forth a set of not just rules, nor are they suggestions, but He calls them 'Commandments'. Come to the December meeting and we'll take a look at what is expected of us and survey some statistics concerning the disobedient attitude of our fellow countrymen. See you at Poppa Rollo's on the 8th.

Deo Vindice, Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Collapse of the Confederacy, edited by Mark Grimsley and Brooks D. Simpson. This book is a volume in a series put out by the University of Nebraska Press entitled "Key Issues of the Civil War Era".  I enjoy books like this because I happen to like academic essays; this might not be everyone's cup of tea. The book is composed od six essays addressing various aspects of the last days of the Confederacy. The first essay by Steven Woodworth examines the role that the Union and Confederate governments played in the last phase of the war. The next by Mark Grimsley looks at the role played by Southern general officers in deciding to end the war. The third by Brooks D. Simpson looks at how the Union High Command facilitated the defeat of the South. The fourth by William Feis looks at Jefferson Davis and the so-called "Guerrilla Option": how seriously did the Southern leadership consider it? The fifth by George Rable looks at the collapse of Confederate morale. The last by Jean Berlin looks at the role played by Southern women in the last period of the war. This is an excellent book for those who find this period of the war interesting.

Dawn of Victory: Breakthrough at Petersburg, March 25-April 2, 1865, by Edward S. Alexander. This volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series" covers the breakthrough battles at Petersburg which led to General Lee abandoning the city and beginning the march to Appomattox. I am very familiar with this since I visited most of these areas last summer. Like the other books in this series it is well written and well illustrated and serves as an excellent travel companion to the battlefields. I highly recommend this book as an adjunct to a visit to the Petersburg area. 

The Struggle for Tennessee: Tupelo to Stones River, by James Street Jr. and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This is another volume in the Time-Life Books Civil War series. This volume covers the period from when Braxton Bragg took over command of the Army of Mississippi at Tupelo, Mississippi, in June, 1862, to the end of the Battle of Murfreesboro/Stones River in January, 1863. In addition to Stones River it covers the Battle of Perryville, as well as numerous cavalry raids and other assorted maneuvers. Like all of the books in this series, this book is well illustrated and superbly researched. I have yet to find a single typo error of any kind in any Time-Life Book. Time-Life Books are suitable for both beginning WBTS readers as well as more seasoned ones.

The Bugles are Silent: A Novel of the Texas Revolution From the Alamo to San Jacinto, by John R. Knaggs. For those of you who like historical fiction this book is an excellent little read. Unlike The Gates of the Alamo this one does not overwhelm you with sexual escapades. Now I have no doubt that our ancestors did such things, but...I really don't want to read about them in gory detail. Like the other book it covers the period of the Texas Revolution for about the same period using a mix of both actual and invented characters. Like the other book, this book also works, though it is much shorter. I found this to be an enjoyable read. 

Dates

12/08/15  Camp 129 meeting @ Poppa Rollo's, 6 pm optional meal,  7 pm Speaker

12/17/15   Brazos Rose Chapter meeting @ West Waco Library, 6:00 pm

Facebook

Flag Pledges