Gen. Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

It seems like 2015 zipped right past us and here we are in 2016. Our camp has grown mainly because of the flag issues that the news media would not let go of. I've enjoyed being your commander all these years but it is time to step down and let someone else take the reins. Cary Bogan has been our commander before and he is willing to do it again. I wish him good luck as he takes over. I am not going to just sit there and do nothing. We have never had someone to be a full time recruiter. We need our camp to continue to grow. However, we should not wait until something like what happened in Charleston to spark our growth. I will take on this position along with the job of getting speakers for our meetings. We have enjoyed the many good speakers that we have had over the years. There are still plenty of topics that we need to hear and there is always someone out there willing to do the research and come and share it with us. I will be your speaker for January. Since we are having our annual Lee-Jackson Dinner I will be speaking on General Lee. It will not be on his career as a general, but on his private life as a husband & father. Our meal will be a buffet and the cost is $10 per plate which includes tax & tip. Coffee, tea, & water will be included.

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The 2016 Lee-Jackson Birthday Banquet will be at Poppa Rollos Pizza at 703 N Valley Mills Drive on the 12th of January. The banquet will begin at 7 PM, with the social hour beginning at 6 PM. The banquet will cost an even $10 a person and will include tea to drink. Any other drink will be on you. The incoming commander, Cary Bogan, and the other officers will be sworn in. Any friends or guests are highly encouraged and welcomed. Our speaker will be our outgoing commander, Charles Oliver. His topic will be "The Personal Life of Robert E. Lee".

A Note from our Friendly Adjutant

It is that time again for everyone to make sure that National has all of their information up to date. If you have moved, changed your email address, or changed your phone number, National needs to know quickly. As they get caught up and back on track, they will be sending me a division listing of members. That is what I will make the reunion book from. The book can only be as accurate as you make it. I would suggest that any information be sent to the TransMississippi clerck at National, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. If you have any questions or problems contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

THANKS

JOHN DICKEY, Adjutant

Felix H. Robertson Camp # 129

3121 Sturgis Lane

Waco TX 76708

Chaplain Comments

"And if it seems evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell; but as for me and my house we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Dag Hammersjkold was secretary general of the United Nations from 1953 until his death in 1961. A Swedish Christian, he authored a collection of meditations, and was regarded as the greatest diplomat of the twentieth century.

On the night of September 17th, 1961, while on a UN peace mission in the Congo, Hammerskjold's plane was destroyed in a fiery crash in Zambia killing all on board. The cause of the crash remained a mystery until investigators discovered a clue in  the wrecked cockpit. Someone noticed an open map in the wreckage. The map was of Ndolo, the airport in Leopoldsville (now Kinshasa), Congo. However, the intended destination that night was Ndola, a city in Zambia. The pilot had picked up the wrong map, and in the black of that night the plane slammed into the ground when the pilot thought he had a thousand more feet to descend. It happened because he had chosen the wrong map. Ndolo or Ndola? There was only one letter different in the two but it made the difference in life or death.

Afraid or a friend. The difference of a few letters makes all the difference in the world. When it comes to the map for our life, be sure to choose the right one. That, also, is a matter of life or death, eternal in scope. The appeal of the aged leader, Joshua, is still very relevant. You only have to read the headlines each day to realize that we are nearing the end of the age. Only one of the 26 prophecies (ref: last years comments) of His coming has not been fulfilled. And that, "the Gospel to every nation kindred tongue and people" is rapidly being accomplished. "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Deo Vindice!

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Battle of Ezra Church and the Struggle for Atlanta, by Earl J. Hess. This book is another terrific work from the pen of accomplished WBTS writer Professor Earl J. Hess, who has numerous previous books to his credit. This book was of particular interest to me because my SCV Confederate ancestor, Orderly Sergeant Isaac Tindall of the 19th Alabama Infantry was killed in action here on 28 July, 1864. Ezra Church was the third of three offensive battles fought by General John Bell Hood to save Atlanta from Yankee Major General William T. Sherman's army. In reaction to a Union flanking movement to the southwest of Atlanta Hood sent the corps of newly promoted Lieutenant General Stephen D. Lee to block it. Lee ( no relation to R.E. Lee) had a fine war record but in this, his first battle as a corps commander, he was in over his head. He launched a series of fierce, but uncoordinated attacks that resulted in over 3000 casualties versus  630 for the Federal defenders. While this is a lopsided disparity many Union soldiers considered the Confederate attacks to be some of the most ferocious of the war, coming in several cases close to breaking the Union line. Unfortunately, that was not enough and because of his heavy losses Hood was forced to go over to the defensive in in order to preserve his manpower. This book is moderately in length and highly recommended.  

Spring 1865: The Closing Campaigns of the Civil War, by Perry D. Jamieson. This book is a volume in the "Great Campaigns of the Civil War" series, of which  I have reviewed a number over the years. This particular volume is slightly different in that it examines the final campaigns of the war throughout the South. The book begins with the fall of Fort Fisher, North Carolina, and moves on to the last fighting at Petersburg and Appomattox. It then moves onto the surrender of the remnants of the Army of Tennessee in North Carolina and Richard Taylor's surrender in Alabama. It concludes with the Trans-Mississippi surrender. This book is an excellent summary of the final doleful days of the WBTS and the Confederacy.

Calamity in Carolina: The Battles of Averasboro and Bentonville, March 1865, by Daniel T. Davis and Phillip S. Geenwalt. This book is a volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series", published by Savas Beatie. This book, like the others in this fine series, is an excellent combination history and travel guide to these two little known late war engagements. In the spring of 1865 as Lee's army was being slowly crushed at Petersburg General Joe Johnston's small army composed principally, but not entirely of units from the Army of Tennessee, attempted to delay and obstruct Sherman's much larger Union force as it marched northward through North Carolina toward Virginia. He was partially successful at these two battles. Ultimately, however, Sherman pushed Johnston back. The biggest positive result of these two battles was the restoration of the fighting morale of the Confederate soldiers, who had seen nothing but defeat as of late. This book is highly recommended.

Dates

1/12/16  Camp meeting @ Poppa Rollo's--Lee/Jackson Birthday Banquet, 6:00 p.m. Social, 7:00 p.m. Eat

1/19/1807  Robert E. Lee born

1/19/16  Confederate Heroes Day observed

1/21/1824  Stonewall Jackson born

OTHER

1/1/1863   Battle of Galveston--General Magruder ran Yankees out.

1/11/1863  Captain Semmes sank the Yankee ship USS Hatteras off the Galveston coast.

1/29/1861  Texas voted to secede.

Newsletter Sign up

Facebook

Flag Pledges