Sons of Confederate Veterans - Waco

Felix H. Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings Fellow Southerners-

I hope that everyone is enjoying this beautiful spring weather. This is a wonderful time of year to get out and around, and do stuff. Because, remember, in a few short months it is going to be unbearably hot!

In the news things seem to have settled down somewhat. I have not heard anything lately about the New Orleans statues; there seems to be an impasse in that situation. I read that-I think- the University of Virginia is thinking about removing an R.E. Lee statue on its Charlottesville Campus. The article also noted that there is considerable opposition to it. The irony to this is that the University of Virginia was originally designed by Thomas Jefferson, one of those EVIL slaveholders. It would be nice if Americans would just step back, take a big breath, and try to act like adults for a change.

Lots of activities are coming up. The Texas Division Reunion is coming up on the 3-5 of June in Kerrville. I have made my reservations; as of now my wife is going so no one can shack up with me. For voting we need a chairman, me, and five attendees. Any prospective attendees should make their reservations ASAP, along with signing up for desired activities, such as the wives wine tasting on Saturday afternoon. Kerrville is a beautiful Hill Country community, with gorgeous scenery. I plan on getting at least one bike ride with a few hills while I am there. Next meeting let us talk about who might want to go. The Texas Division website has all of the pertinent forms and general info on the reunion.

The National Reunion is the 13-17th of July in Dallas. I plan on attending the 13-15th (Wednesday through Friday). I have something already going on that weekend. My wife will NOT be coming to this so possibly someone might be able to shack up with me for those days. I have not made reservations yet but now is the time for people who are interested to plan for it. The last issue of Confederate Veteran magazine had a great deal of info on the National Reunion.

Finally, there is the subject of Confederate Memorial Day. At the last camp meeting I proposed that we have a simple ceremony at the Confederate graves section at the First Street Cemetery. I think that we should do First Street for visibility sakes--in other words we should be seen. A rough sketch of the ceremony would be a prayer followed by an introduction explaining the significance of  Confederate Memorial Day. We could have a firing party with four or five members fire some volleys. Then we could with dignity and pride place flags on the row of markers. Some short remarks would follow, then a closing prayer and that would basically be it. The ceremony would be on Sunday the 24th of April at 2:30 PM or so. Of course, this all depends on getting up enough people to do this. I also think that all CSA graves at First Street AND Oakwood should be marked. I would like to mark the other graves on Thursday the 21st and keep them up until the following Monday or Tuesday. By the end of our camp meeting I would like to have a plan. 

I look forward to seeing everyone on the 12th of April at Poppa Rollos.

In the Service of the South,

Cary Bogan

For your enlightenment here is information on purchasing uniforms and equipment.

CONFEDERATE UNIFORM KITS

SUTLER                                         KIT PRICE                WEB LINK

C&C SUTLERY                             $239-$357                  http://www.ccsutlery.com

They offer 12 different uniform combinations, good quality, with best size variations.

FALL CREEK SUTLER              $235.00                       http://fcsutler.com

Shoes are extra cost. Quality is average.

MERCURY SUPPLY COMPANY SUTLER    $235.00   http://www.mercurysutler.com/specials.htm

Texas based company with good quality

CRESCENT CITY SUTLER       $165.00-210               http://www.crescentcitysutler.com

They offer a jean wool package @ $165.00 and regular wool @ $210, wool quality is average. We purchased a sample package and found it is average quality but economical.

ALSO CHECK ON EBAY-lots of individual items can be found there.

IF YOU WANT HIGH QUALITY JACKETS,  TROUSERS< OR A COMPLETE UNIFORM MADE, CONTACT:

C & D JARNAGIN CO, Inc

103 FRANKLIN ST.

CORINTH MS 38834

http://www.jarnaginco.com

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veterans monthly meeting will be Tuesday, April 12th, at Poppa Rollos Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. Meal will be at 6:00 PM and the program at 7:00 PM. The speaker will be Frank Bussey. His topic will be "The orphan Brigade" which was made up of men from Kentucky who fought for the South. Visitors are welcome AND encouraged. 

Chaplain Comments

One hundred fifty years ago this month, the Ladies Memorial Association of Columbus, GA passed a resolution to set aside one day annually to memorialize those who died in service to the Confederate States of America. In March of 1866 a letter was sent to each of the principal cities of the South inviting ladies to join the tribute. April 26th, the first anniverary of Confederate General Johnston's final surrender to Union General Sherman at Bennett Place, NC was chosen as the date for this special occasion. For many Southerners this date marked the official end of the War Between the States.

For several years the practice of adorning the graves of Confederate fallen with flowers and flags was strictly observed by the Southern ladies, but in 1868 the CIC of the Federal vets started to emulate the practice and thus the current Memorial Day, observed in the entire US, came to be. Due to the rise of PC (political correctness) and the desire to please "everyone", the date of April 26 has just become another day in much of the South. In many of the Southern States, not only has the date been forgotten but observance is directed in other directions, for instance, it is known as Confederate Heroes Day in Texas. At least the month of April is still known as Confederate History Month, but for how much longer, we know not.

Let's remember, especially this month, our ancestors who so valiantly served, against overwhelming odds, the Cause which they held so dear. May we, Sons of Confederate Veterans, continue to emulate their determination in service to our God, our families and country.

Deo Vindice, Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Cold Harbor to the Crater: The End of the Overland Campaign, Edited by Gary Gallagher and Caroline E. Janney. This book is the latest volume in the series "Military Campaigns of the Civil War", published by The University of North Carolina Press. The series deals with battles that occurred in the Eastern Theater in Virginia. This particular volume has ten essays. As usual for this series they are well written and interesting, and the volume itself is a worthy addition to this series. Among the topics covered are: Perceptions of Grant and Lee in the summer of 1864; The integration of new troops into the Army of Northern Virginia; The common soldier's experience at Cold Harbor; The use of field fortifications by the Confederate Army in the Overland Campaign; and Union General Francis Barlow's Civil War experience. The book is completed by essays on the following subjects: Grant's disengagement from Cold Harbor; Confederate morale at Petersburg; Southern civilians at Petersburg; Black Soldiers at the Crater; and The Battle of the Crater as it has been presented in recent fiction. This is another great book in this series. 

Now For The Contest: Coastal & Oceanic Naval Operations in the Civil War, by William H. Roberts. This book is a volume in the "Great Campaigns of the Civil War" series published by the University of N ebraska Press. I own and have read all of the volumes in this series and this one is another fine addition to the series. The subject of this book are the naval operations that took place along the Southern coastal areas and on the inland rivers. Commerce raiding is not a topic in this book. The book does, however, detail how the two rival navies built up from nothing and how each approached their respective strategic missions. The book discusses the prickly subject of Army-Navy cooperation which, at that time, was basically dependent on whether or not the two commanders got along. In short, the Union navies strategy of building up a massive fleet to take Southern ports and stop blockade running was met by a Southern strategy of using quality to counterbalance quantity. How each side went about it is a fascinating story that this book does an excellent job of telling.  

Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Civil War, by James M. McPherson. This book is an examination of Jefferson Davis in his role as the President of the Confederacy. Most modern studies do not depict President Davis in a very favorable light as a wartime president--particularly when compared to his yankee counterpart Abe Lincoln. His strategic decisions are criticized and especially the choices he made for his generals are heavily criticized--with the notable exception of Robert E. Lee. The author looks at all of these decisions and his final analysis is that Jeff Davis did about the best he could under the circumstances. His command relationship with Lee was excellent, and the success of the Army of Northern Virginia to a degree counterbalanced all of the setbacks elsewhere. He had severe pressures on him from every single state in the Confederacy that influenced what should have been strictly military decision making. The Confederacy's need to concentrate its forces into large armies to engage the large Union invading armies was negated by constant calls from local officials for forces to protect them from Union raids along the coast and elsewhere. Jefferson Davis emerged as an unwavering advocate for Southern independence. that he deserves a great deal of credit. 

Dates

04/12/16 Camp meeting at Poppa Rollo's  6:00 pm-Eat, socialize  7:00 pm- speaker 

04/12/16 Brazos Rose Chapter sells flags @ $10.00 and poles with holders @ $25.00  while they last

04/14/16 Brazos Rose Chapter meeting at West Waco Library @ 6:00 pm -- Dues $20.00 yr- Sign up now

04/16 & 17/16 Confederate Reunion Grounds, Mexia-- Living history and reenactments

Reenactments: Saturday 2:00 pm  Sunday 1:00 pm

Newsletter Sign up

Email type
Please wait

Social Media

Flag Pledges