Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings Fellow Southerners-

I have alot to report from the Texas Division Reunion so I will dispense with the usual "it's a wonderful time of year stuff" and get down to it.

The Texas Division Reunion was in Kerrville 3-5 June. This was NOT an election year so Constitutional amendments and changes were up for consideration. I personally found the Reunion to be interesting and thought provoking, some of which I will convey to the camp membership at our next meeting on Tuesday the 14th of June. In general, the Texas Division is fully aware of the drastically changed times in which we live because of the massacre in Charleston, South Carolina. The National Commander, Kelly Barrow, was there, as well as some other high ranking individuals. The Texas Camel Corps, based in Valley Mills Texas, was there represented by Doug Baum and two of his "beauties". He spoke at the awards luncheon on Saturday, as well as answering questions in company with the camels on Saturday. Interestingly, for a brief period of time, camels were imported commercially as well as the ones brought in by the military to Camp Verde in the late 1850s. One camel was present as the mascot of a Mississippi infantry regiment at the Siege of Vicksburg where it was killed by a dastardly yankee sharpshooter. The act was considered so mean that Southern marksmen severely wounded the assailant in turn. The camel's name was "Douglas" and his image was stamped on the reunion medal.

Four Constitutional rules amendments were brought up for vote. I will briefly summarize each amendment and discuss how the vote went. If you are interested in the exact text of each amendment go to the Texas Division website and look at it. At the last camp meeting we discussed how to vote which was, in order yes, no, no, and no. I voted that way on the first three. The last amendment was tabled and not voted on. I voted to table the amendment which I will discuss in that section.

The first rules amendment concerned the election of brigade officers. In short, the amendment made the way brigade officers are elected identical to the way in which division officers are elected. This amendment passed with me voting for it.

The second rules amendment concerned the timely submission of delegates credentials. There has been a real problem with the timely submission of credentials prior to conventions. This amendment proposed a financial penalty for credentials submitted late or on the day of the convention. After much discussion the amendment passed with our camp voting against it.

The third amendment concerned a increase in the annual dues. The amendment mandates an increase in the division dues per member from $5/years to $15/year. An amendment from the floor to make the increase $5/year to $10/year was voted down. I voted against the amendment but it passed anyway by a sizable majority...and, frankly I am glad it passed. I will speak at the next camp meeting but we are in a war, and the SCV in general, and the Texas Division are strapped for money. Legal bills are consuming an enormous amount of resources. Our charge is to defend the Confederate soldiers good name and we are the only ones who are going to do it. To borrow an expression we are the "Thin Gray Line". The assault is everywhere, and our enemies are emboldened and outnumber us worse than General Hood was outnumbered at Nashville, or Pickett at Five Forks, or Lee at Sharpsburg. I will speak at length on this at the next meeting. 

The last amendment concerned the manner in which the Division Reunion are financed. Due to comments from people from past reunions the consensus is that the manner in which reunions is held needs to be drastically revised in view of the attacks upon our heritage. A motion was made to table this amendment and have the Division commander to appoint a five member committee to examine how reunions are run. The motion passed with overwhelming support and I voted for the motion. I hate the idea of committees--it sounds like politicians in Washington passing the buck--but clearly, in my opinion, things need to be changed.

Well, it looks like we will have alot to talk about at the next meeting. Since I am also the speaker it looks like I had better be prepared.  See you at the next meeting.

In the Service of the South--

Cary Bogan

Commander

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next camp meeting for the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 Sons of Confederate Veterans will be on Tuesday, the 14th of June at 7 PM, with dinner for those who are interested at 6 PM. It will be at Poppa Rollos Pizza at 703 N Valley Mills Drive. The speaker will be our Camp Commander, Cary Bogan, who will speak on the subject of "Dissent in the Confederacy". This talk was prepared in response to the upcoming movie "The Free State of Jones". 

Chaplain Comments

Please forgive the tardiness and brevity of the Chaplain's Comments this month. I thoroughly intended to have them out before going into the hospital on Monday, the 6th, for another procedure. Reason was atrial fibfillation which requires an ablation, similar to the one for flutter that was done a couple of months ago, but about twice the duration. When the surgeon got the fib stopped the flutter started again so bad had to redo that and spend last night in the hospital.

I want to thank you guys for your prayers and concern during the past six months. Maybe the old ticker will last long enough that I might be of service to Him. It IS marvelous what our Maker has let mortal man learn about our wondrous bodies.

Until the 14th, God Bless and Deo Vindice.

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Free State of Jones: Mississippi's Longest Civil War, by Victoria E. Bynum. This is the book which the upcoming movie of the same name is about. The area around Jones County, Mississippi, was one of the poorest parts of the state of Mississippi. Some, but not all of the farmers were not enthusiastic about fighting for the Confederacy. Very little cotton was baled in Jones County. Some of the population there felt that they were fighting for the benefit of more propertied individuals. Additionally, the draft was very unpopular to many. Into this mix came the person of one individual named Newt Knight. He led a band of deserters, draft dodgers, runaway slaves, and just plain renegades in harassing locals who were sympathetic to the Confederacy.    After the war he referred to his band as a company and tried to get the U.S. Government to compensate them for their "service". I think that the bulk of the evidence, even from this book, which is the source document for the movie, shows that Mr. Newt Knight was more of a man who took advantage of the turmoil of very tough times to take advantage of his neighbors, especially with alot of the menfolk off fighting the yankees. That does not sound very heroic to me. That does not sound like a Robin Hood, but more of a bushwacker. This will be the topic of discussion for our next camp meeting.

The Long Shadow of the Civil War: Southern Dissent and its Legacies,  by Victoria E. Bynum. This book is by the author of the previously reviewed book. This volume is more of a bird's eye view of Southern dissent using three different areas as examples. These three areas are: the Jones County, Mississippi area, the Quaker Belt region of North Carolina, and the Big Thicket area north of Houston, Texas. The author compares and contrasts the areas, discussing  the background of each region, how it aligned at the beginning of the war, and what the area was like during the war. In one interesting note, a number of the principals in the Big Thicket area were related and married to people from Jones County, Mississippi.  Certainly, the author probably did not intend it, but I got the impression that alot of these people were just bad apples, no matter where they lived.

Dixie Victorious: An Alternative History of the Civil War, edited by Peter G. Tsouras. The title of this book is extremely deceptive. The book is not AN alternative history of the Civil War, as in singular. Each chapter is a separate, contained version of how the South might have won the war. Each of the ten chapters is totally different. Some, as could be expected are more plausible than others. The chapters dealing with a possible foreign intervention are interesting, as are the ones dealing with the fallout from a possible alternative Antietam/Sharpsburg campaign. Less plausible are ones dealing with a dramatically different naval war, or the South winning because of a decisive victory in the Red River Campaign. The one where Albert Sidney Johnston survives his wound at Shiloh and eventually returns to active duty is very interesting. Each chapter goes through the alternative history, then concludes with a section that summarizes what really happened. All in all, this book was an entertaining, silly, light read.  

Dates

06/14/16   Camp Meeting at Poppa Rollos 6:00 eat, Speaker at 7:00

07/14/16   Deadline to sign up for Sam Davis Youth Camp, Clifton, Texas

Support the Rose Chapter--Buy flags and poles!!

Facebook

Flag Pledges