Sons of Confederate Veterans - Waco

Felix H. Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Dear Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line--

Well, here we are. It is August in Texas and it is hotter than you know what! But, as Texans we thrive in this sort of heat. It is always amusing, to me at least, to watch those who lack intestinal fortitude snivel and gripe about the hot weather. My response to them is to get lost and move back north, or to the north. We have what promises to be an excellent talk by one of our camp's long time members, Mr. Markum Dossett. Brandy Station is a fascinating topic. What happened there is widely believed to have greatly impacted the Gettysburg campaign.

I assume that everyone had a chance to read the email alert in reference to the flagpole. The damage was not great, but it points up the fact that the dirtbags who oppose us feel that the momentum is on their side. They think that they can get away with this. Also, it is pretty obvious that our site is being watched even when there is no Confederate Battle Flag flying. The securoty fence should make it extremely difficult for anyone to monkey around with the pole, buy I think we have to be realistic and assume that the harassment will continue no matter how we secure the flag. We could probably seed the ground for twenty feet in every direction from the flagpole and still these morons will try to vandalize it. Expect this to be a long term battle. 

For those who are interested the movie "The Free State of Jones", with a budget of at least $50 MILLION grossed a whisker above $20 MILLION during it's theatrical run. I wonder how many people in Hollywood can afford to lose $30 MILLION on a movie. Of course, it will bring in more as it goes to BLURAY/DVD but clearly the American audience rejected the movie.

As the weather starts to cool off in the fall in 2-3 months we need to think of some projects to do to keep in the camp and our organization in the public view. I am open to suggestions.

I am pleased with the attendance at our camp meetings as of late. We are pretty well filling up the Poppa Rollos meeting room. I think that it is partially the publicity surrounding the Confederate Battle Flag that has caused this but that it is also the fact that we have an interesting group  of people. We are proud amateur historians who represent values that are honorable and decent in this time of American cultural rot.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the next camp meeting at Poppa Rollos.

In the Service of the South-

Cary Bogan

Commander

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting for the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 Sons of Confederate Veterans will be on the 9th of August at 7:00 PM at Poppa Rollos Pizza 703 N Valley Mills Drive. Dinner will be at 6:00 PM. The speaker will be Markham Dossett who will speak on "The Battle of Brandy Station", which was the huge cavalry battle just [prior to the Battle of Gettysburg. This ought to be a really great talk! Visitors and family members are welcomed AND encouraged.

Chaplain Comments

Fellow Compatriots,

My soul was saddened to see Philadelphia city workers removing the two Mississippi state flags from the display down Broad St. during the DNC. Someone was offended! Then my temper began to boil when I saw the flag of Communist China being proudly displayed outside of the hall, and the Palestinian flag being waved inside the hall. Now I am a first amendment believer, but why should the ones waving those banners be given precedence over the flag of the great state of Mississippi? we, the older generation, have our work cut out for us; informing and educating these 'millennials'. Have you stopped to realize that there will be young 'uns voting this October who were born after Monica did the thing with Bill? If anyone is going to stand up for our Southern heritage and make sure that our grandfather's flag is not relegated to the garbage heap, then it is going to be left to us, gentlemen. Remember when discussing our heritage, keep your cool and be well informed. Jesus Christ gave us a good example in Matthew 7:29, "For He taught them as one having authority, and not as one of the scribes." Piety is not appreciated. And let's see if we can do it in a pleasant tone of voice, as He would have us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycBe07LtTEs&feature=youtube.be

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/communist-flags-proudly-flying-at-dnc 072016

Deo Vindice!

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain 

Confederate Book Reviews

The Antietam Campaign, edited by Gary Gallagher. This is a volume in "The Military Campaigns of the Civil War" series. As per the other books in this series this is another excellent addition. This one contains ten essays by different authors, including  Professor Gallagher himself. The first is about the reaction to the Antietam Campaign in the South at the time. The second is about the state of the Union Army of the Potomac after the battle. The third essay concerns how the Confederacy used the Antietam Campaign as a way to define itself. The fourth is about Southern logistical problems during the campaign. The fifth is about the effectiveness of the large number of green Union soldiers in the Army of Potomac. The sixth remembers the battlefield service of the yankee 16th Connecticut Infantry and how they remembered their service. The seventh is about the Confederate cavalry's contribution to the defense of the Southern left flank. The eighth looks at the fierce struggle for Bloody Lane from the Confederate viewpoint. The ninth essay details the dubious campaign record of Artillery chief William Nelson Pendleton. And the tenth looks at the use of the Antietam campaign as a classroom vehicle for future generations of U.S. Army officers. All of these essays are well written, informative, and entertaining. This book is highly recommended. 

The Battle of Pea Ridge: The Civil War Fight for the Ozarks, by James R. Knight. This is a volume in The History Press "Civil War Sesquicentennial" series. Pea Ridge is unique among battles during the WBTS in that it was fought out in the middle of no where, logistically speaking, with the Union army in particular being at the end of a long supply line with no railroad and no river to support it. Confederate army commander Earl Van Dorn was one of the most highly rated officers in the prewar army due to his service in the 2d U.S. Cavalry in Texas in the 1850s. Unfortunately for the Confederacy, he did not live up to the good press. At Pea Ridge his army made a daring turning movement did into the Union rear which forced the yankees to abandon their defensive positions and completely turn their army about and defend themselves to the rear. However, he neglected their logistics with the result that on the second day of sustained combat the Southerners ran out of ammunition and his army was dispersed. Northern Arkansas was lost for the duration of the war. Individual Confederate units fought well, but the overall battle was one of a series of serious setbacks for the South in early 1862. This short book does an excellent job of giving a concise, informative account of this overlooked WBTS battle.

Atlanta 1864: Sherman marches South, by James Donnell. This book is a volume in the Osprey Publishing Campaign series. This book is a short (96 pages), very well illustrated summary of the Atlanta Campaign that has an excellent section on the battlefields today. For someone who is not familiar with the campaign this would be an excellent place to start; for someone who is well versed in the operations this is still a fun, informative book to read. Particularly noteworthy are the excellent battlescene illustrations, the Battle of Resaca, the Dead Angle at Kennesaw Mountain, and Union cavalry at Lovejoy's Station.

Dates

08/09/16 Camp meeting at Papa Rollos. Dine at 6:00 pm, Speaker at 7:00 pm

08/11/16  Brazos Rose meeting at West Waco Library at 6:00 pm

09/08/1863  The Second Battle at Sabine Pass. Lt Richard W. Dowling leading 46 men of the Davis Guard fought 

5,000 Yankees. The Davis Guard took 350 prisoners and killed 50 Yankees. No Davis Guard casualties.

10/21/16   Geneaology Lock-In at West Waco Library,  3:00-10:30 pm.

Newsletter Sign up

Email type
Please wait

Social Media

Flag Pledges