Sons of Confederate Veterans - Waco

Felix H. Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings, Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line--

Well, I hope that everyone has had a reasonably pleasant August. This one was, for Texas at least, fairly mild. Ironically, when my family went of the country for our vacation it was 100 something degrees--as soon as we left the country a cold spell hit Waco dropping the temperatures down into the 80s. That was the week of 13-20 August. At any rate,  unless we get really unseasonably warm in September, it looks like the worst part of summer is over.

As the weather gets cooler we can start up some projects to honor the memory of the Confederate soldier. I have an entry form for the Veteran's Day Parade in downtown Waco. I cannot stress enough that with all of the current goings on involving everything Confederate that we need to have an aggressive showing and large turn out.  I would like to see a color guard with numerous Confederate flags and a large armed contingent with rifled muskets with fixed bayonets. A bayonet fixed on the end of an Enfield or Springfield rifle makes a distinct impression. We represent the memory of those who fought and died in obedience to the call of the state government of Texas, and suffered enormous casualties in the process. Personally, I am looking forward to marching in downtown Waco with my new knees.

The biggest outrage right now, in my mind, at least, and in many ways the most absurd, involves the Confederate Memorial Hall dormitory at Vanderbilt University. In 1933 the Tennessee UDC donated the then sizable sum of $50,000 to  Peabody College to fund the building of a dormitory where young ladies who were descendents of Confederate soldiers could live for free. The dormitory was named CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL HALL--Gasp! Time rolls on. Peabody College is absorbed by Vanderbilt University. Vanderbilt University is now populated by Politically Correct wimps and losers who are offended by the name of the girl's dorm. Ten plus years ago they attempt to sandblast the CONFEDERATE part of the name off the building. Some sense prevails when a court rules that they cannot do that because of the implied agreement that the donated money allowed the UDC to name the building. Well, the court also said that the University COULD change the name if it returned the modern equivalent of the original $50,000 donation. Lo and behold, Vanderbilt came up with donors to fund the $1.2 MILLION which is the 2016 equivalent of the 1933 $50,000. Oh brother. To me, this shows just how STUPID the PC crowd really is. A friend of mine has a theory that Americans are doing a Darwin in reverse--we are actually getting less intelligent, rather than progressing forward. I do not think that our Confederate ancestors are necessarily rolling in their graves, though they might be doing that, too. I think that they are probably doubled up in laughter at the silliness of our present society. It is not like anybody can come up with $1.2 MILLION for the privilege of sandblasting eleven letters off a building facade. I am sure that there was nothing really important that they could have used that money for.

In the Service of the South...and keep smiling with Southern good humor.

Cary Bogan

Lieutenant Commander Comments

This month's meeting of the Sons of Confederate Veterans will be Tuesday, September 13th, at Poppa Rollos Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. Meal will be at 6:00 PM and the meeting will begin at 7:00 PM. The speaker will be Dr. Richard Montgomery who will speak on "Chaplains in the Southern Army". Visitors are welcome AND encouraged. For more information visit www.scv-waco.org or call 254-772-1676.

Chaplain Comments

I regret that I will miss our September meeting. We will be celebrating my birthday, 9/11, with our son and family in Tennessee.

The following came to my attention recently and I think it is some good advice we all could live by. It was written by Mother Theresa.

DO IT ANYWAY

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;

Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you may win some false friends and some true enemies;

Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;

Be honest and frank anyway.

What you are building, someone could destroy overnight;

Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;

Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;

Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;

Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God.

It was never between you and them anyway.

Keep Him smillin'! Deo Vindice.

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862,  Edited by Gary Gallagher. This is another volume in the "Military Campaigns of the Civil War, published by the University of North Carolina Press. Like the others in the series, this book is not a history of the campaign, but rather a series of essays dealing with various aspects of the campaign. This volume has a total of eight essays. The subjects of the essays are: Abraham Lincoln's role in the 1862 Valley Campaign; the evolution of Stonewall Jackson's public image during this period; a look at some of the Federal commanders who faced Jackson; civilians in the Shenandoah Valley; reporting on the 12th Georgia Infantry during the campaign; the public image of Turner Ashby; a look at Brigadier General Charles S. Winder of the Stonewall Brigade; and a look at the controversy surrounding the relief of Brigadier General Richard B. Garnett. All of the essays are well written and interesting. This book is highly recommended for those interested in the 1862 Valley Campaign.

The Last Days of Stonewall Jackson: The Mortal Wounding of the Confederacy's Greatest Icon, by Chris Mackowski and Kristopher D. White. This book is a volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series", published by Savas Beatie. This short volume addresses the circumstances of Jackson's wounding by friendly fire at the Battle of Chancellorsville, and his subsequent death due to the effects of those wounds. Appendices address, among other things, the prewar Jackson, Jackson in memory, the great "What If" of if he had not been shot, his doctor, Hunter McGuire, and other topics. Like the other books in this series, this book is part history and part travel guide, and it does a very good job of both, so I highly recommend it.

The Valiant Few: Crisis at the Alamo, by Lon Tinkle. This is a short children's book that I read numerous times as a child. Lon Tinkle wrote the old Alamo book, Thirteen Days to Glory, which though now dated, is still a good read. This book with numerous illustrations, would serve as an excellent introduction to the topic for a young person or an adult who is not familiar with the subject. While it is a children's book it is still worthy the time to read and add to your collection.

Dates

09/13  Camp meeting

09/27   Sul Ross Birthday Event at Oakwood--2:00 pm

FLAGS AND MORE!!!!!!      See a ROSE member

Newsletter Sign up

Email type
Please wait

Social Media

Flag Pledges