Sons of Confederate Veterans - Waco

Felix H. Robinson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings, Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line--

Well, it looks like summer is finally trying to go out the back door here in Central Texas. Football season is here--much to my Red Raider son's delight--and the holidays are now approaching (Yuck...that is ME speaking). In the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 we have a number of projects we are working on  to keep us occupied. We are still proceeding with the reconstruction of the I-35 flagpole and the upcoming Veteran's Day Parade. We have two meetings in which to put together the camp's part of the parade.

Let me summarize again what I propose: first, a color guard with a number of fine Southern Gentlemen carrying our beautiful flags. These gentlemen may, or may not wear a uniform. If someone does not have a uniform then by all means wear an appropriate piece of headgear such as a cowboy hat, a Civil War forage hat, or an SCV baseball hat. We will carry a US flag, a Texas flag, and as many Confederate flags of different types as we can manage. There will also be a rifle squad, in uniform, with our fearless Navy adjutant as our Officer-in-Charge. Naturally, the rifle squad will be carrying vintage weapons with the cold steel attached. A WBTS era Springfield or Enfield with a bayonet fixed is an object worthy of respect and awe. The length of the march is about half a mile or so. Previously, we have a had pickup truck as our mechanized element with space for those who are not able to march.  At the October meeting I want to get a rough list of those who can participate in whatever fashion. At the November meeting, which will be three days before the march, I want to finalize our plan, and let everyone know the meeting point for the parade.

I am looking forward to this because it is my intent that this camp will deliver a message to the ignorant forces of political correctness that we will not be going away any time soon.

Myself, along with other members of our camp, attended the birthday commemoration for General Sul Ross at Oakwood Cemetery. It was a moving and well done ceremony, and I would like to do other things at Oakwood since the cemetery administration is favorably inclined to historical commemoration. In the past we had a former camp member who gave an excellent talk on Confederates in the cemetery. If we could convince him to do again I would like to look at sometime in the spring having a camp meeting at Oakwood and put some flesh back on these long deceased men who fought for the South.

Let us get out the word to those who are interested to come to our meetings and join our camp and to get involved.

In the Service of the South,

Cary Bogan

Camp Commander

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting for the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 will be on the 11th of October at Poppa Rollos Pizza on North Valley Mills Drive at 7 PM, with dinner at 6 PM. The speaker will be Mr. Dale West of the Longview, TX, SCV camp. He will speak on "Civil War Photography. Family members and guests are invited and welcome to attend.

Chaplain Comments

For those of you who weren't there, it was good to see out camp so well represented at the grave of General Sul Ross, CSA, to celebrate his 178th birthday, September 27th. The commemoration was sponsored by the Oakwood Cemetery Association and the featured speaker was our own Charles Oliver. If you missed the occasion, Charles will again chronicle the life of this remarkable man at the Waco McLennan County Genealogy Lock In on the 21st of October. The Lock In starts at 4:30 pm and lasts until about 10 or until the last one leaves. Our SCV camp will have a table there and volunteers are needed. If you have never attended one of the past sixteen Lock Ins, come and see what it's all about: and it's free.

I would like to leave you with this admonition to...BE CAREFUL.

Be careful of your thoughts

for your thoughts become your word.

be careful of your words

for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions

for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits

for your habits become your character.

Bwe careful of your character

for your character becomes your destiny.

(Author Unknown)

God Bless and Deo Vindice.

Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Confederate Book Reviews

Morgan's Great Raid: The Remarkable Expedition from Kentucky to Ohio, by David L. Mowery. This book is a volume in the The History Press Civil War Sesquicentennial Series. From the 2d to the 26th of July, 1863, Brigadier John Hunt Morgan led 2460 cavalrymen with four field guns on a raid through Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio. Though he caused a great deal of material damage, and caused a large diversion of resources, Morgan's Raid ultimately ended badly with all save 500 of his men either killed or captured. Morgan and six of his officers made a spectacular escape from the Ohio State Penitentiary in November of 1863, and made their way back to the South. Unfortunately he was killed in action in September, 1864. This book does an excellent job of detailing the raid, day by day. Morgan's undoing was the Yankees ability to mobilize men along his route and slow him down enough where regular forces were able to eventually catch him. This is an enjoyable and exciting story, and this book does an excellent job of telling it.

Out Flew the Sabres: The Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, by Eric J. Wittenberg and Daniel T. Davis.  This is a volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series" published by Savas Beatie. Brandy Station is a well known battle, because it marked the emergence of the Union cavalry as a respected force after two years of being regularly trounced by the Southern cavalry in Virginia. This volume by two WBTS cavalry experts does an excellent job of giving the story in a format that is both history as well as a battlefield travel guide. These books are enjoyable to read, and are useful for both the novice historian as well as the better versed reader. Every book of this series that I have read so far I would recommend to other readers.

Chattanooga 1863: Grant and Bragg in Central Tennessee, by Markm Lardas, illustrated by Adam Hook. This book is a volume in the Osprey Campaign Series. As per the format of the books in the series this volume has both regular maps, bird's eye view maps, and excellent, specially commissioned battle plates. The standard campaign series format takes the reader through the campaign's background, the commanders involved, as well the composition and characteristics of the opposing armies. Like the previous books, these volumes are suitable for both novice and more experienced historians. After the Confederate victory at Chickamauga in September 1863 the defeated Union Army of the Cumberland was pinned up in Chattanooga. The Confederate Army of Tennessee's commander, General Braxton Bragg, badly bungled an attempt to finish off this wounded enemy army. Despite some heroic fighting by Cleburne's division, the Confederates were driven away, thus setting the stage for the Atlanta Campaign the following year. The only criticism of the book, and it is a major one, is that the author does not spend much time on Patrick Cleburne's defense of Tunnel Hill. This book is an excellent summary of that important campaign.

Brother Against Brother: The War Begins, by William C. Davis and the Editors of Time-Life Books.  I am one of the people who really regrets the demise of Time-Life. I thoroughly enjoyed alot of their book series, such as World War II, The Old West, The Third Reich, and The Vietnam Experience (with Boston Publishing Company). The Civil War Series was my favorite one. I bought the series when I was stationed in the early 1990s. I have decided to reread the entire series from start to finish, though I have reread alot of the later volumes as part of the Civil War Sesquicentennial. This is the first in the series and gives a brief (very brief) overview of the background to the war and the lead up and firing on Fort Sumter. All of these books are as good now as they were when they were published 30 years ago.

Dates

10/11/16  Waco Camp meeting at Poppa Rollo's-6:00 eat, 7:00 Speaker

10/11/16  Brazos Rose Chapter-- flag sale at the Camp meeting

10/12/16  Fly the Flag at half-mast. Robert E. Lee died on this day  in 1870.(You know which flag) 

10/13/16   Brazos Rose Chapter meeting at the West Waco Library-6:00 p.m.

10/15/16  "Walking Tales" at Oakwood Cemetery ---10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.--Rose and Camp members usually speak

10/21/16  16th Annual Genealogy Lock-In at West Waco Library-5:30 to 10:30 p.m. Camp and Rose Chapter will have                        tables

11/11/16   VETERAN'S DAY--Memorial Service, Parade, Flagging Confederate graves, etc.

Newsletter Sign up

Email type
Please wait

Social Media

Flag Pledges