Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings to Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line--

Well, here we are at the end of the year of our Lord, 2016. Time does fly. From myself, and the members of my family, the Bogans extend Season's Greetings to all of the members of the Waco SCV family. I am looking forward to the Holiday Season and having my three college kiddos all return to the nest, at least temporarily. 

A couple of things are on my mind as I compose this newsletter on this December 7th, 2016, the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor. During my period of active duty in the military I spent five years in the Bundesrepublik Deustchland--the Federal Republic of Germany, waiting for the godless Communist horde to come across the border. I spent five Christmases away from home...fortunately, the last three I was blessed enough to be able to0 spend with my lovely wife. I remember how tough the first two were, even with invitations from other military families to come to their houses. We might take a moment to remember service members who are deployed overseas, both those who are stationed with their families and those who are actually in the "woods", so to speak with their units. Additionally, we ought to remember members of the law enforcement community who will be hazarding their lives over the holidays. Their work so that most of us can live routine, uneventful lives. Finally, let us remember what life must have been like 150+ years ago for Southern soldiers manning the line on the Rappahanock River in Virginia, or manning the defenses of Galveston, or manning an outpost line somewhere in central Tennessee. They did not have email, Facebook, Instagram, cell phones, or whatever to keep in touch with their families. In fact, if they were Texans, they may have not gotten even mail from home after 1863, given that the Mississippi River was under yankee control. Talk about tough living. I imagine homesickness led to some serious drinking among some men. But, the majority of the soldiers persevered, and remained in the ranks. Those are the men we in the SCV honor--and I think we should honor as well those who supported them behind the lines. Those are the people who picked up the slack in the absence of the best men in the army. They are the women who found themselves running farms in the absence of the menfolk, the elderly who instead of enjoying old age found themselves up to their eyeballs in work. And the children, who were deprived of the company of their fathers, brothers, uncles and others who might have provided a needed male presence. Let us honor their memories.

The big event for this month is the election of camp officers. I will serve for one more year as commander. However, it is time for some other individuals to step forward and become involved in the running of the camp, and eventually take my place. Hayden Moody is retiring as camp Chaplain. He has served honorably for a long time, and he deserves his rest. Charles would like to devote his time to the I-35b flagpole. The 1st LT position is responsible for securing speakers and the 2d LT is responsible for recruiting. Anyone who steps forward is not going to be left alone to flounder about by themselves. When I was the 1st LT Charles guided me in the general direction of speakers and I took the initiative to call them, book them, and make sure that they did not forget the meeting or get lost getting here. It is important that we keep a continual flow of new blood moving through the leadership positions. I would like for everyone to think about the December officer elections. 

Finally, I would like to entertain any ideas for camp projects for the upcoming year. We have one big, ongoing project for the year--that is the I-35 flag. Cemetery work comes to mind. Projects where we are in the public eye are good because it shows that we are not intimidated by the PC morons who refer to the Battle Flag as the "Stars and Bars". I would like, when the weather gets nice again, to maybe have one camp meeting at Oakwood Cemetery where we walk the cemetery and hear the stories of those Confederates who are buried there. To paraphrase our soon to be departed president: Let me be clear-- I am interested in your input.

See everyone at the next meeting and Merry Christmas!

In the Service of the South-

Cary Bogan 

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veterans' monthly meeting will be Tuesday, December 13th at Poppa Rollo's Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. Meal will be at 6:00 PM, and the speaker at 7:00 PM. Shirley Woodlock, a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy will speak on "Masonry during the Civil War". Visitors are welcome AND encouraged. For more information visit www.scv-waco.org or call 254-772-1676.

Chaplain Comments

Greetings Compatriots!

Thank goodness the election is over! Surprise on both sides! Whether you are pleased or not with the results, I would like to remind you to take a look at "the big picture". God is still in control. From the book of Daniel (NKJV), chapter 2, verse 21, we read, "And he changeth the times and the seasons: He removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding."

Hundreds of years before the fact, God declared through the prophet Isaiah that He had appointed Cyrus, king of the Medes and Persians, to oversee the rebuilding of Jerusalem. "He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be rebuilt; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid." (Isa 44:28) Could it be that God has selected one of His choosing to rebuild Washington? Our job is not to second guess God, but to follow the instructions given in the Word; 2 Chronicles 7:14, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." we need to humble ourselves, turn ("repent") from our wicked ways and pray. Pray for ALL of our elected officials.

At times in our lives we have all come close to death, probably not knowing how close. I have just experienced an event in my life that brought me as close as I care to be. After failing a nuclear stress test and a heart cath indicating that blockage of one artery was 99%, I was given the option of having bypass surgery or maybe lasting a year, "if you are lucky". in making decisions like these, it is easy to become a little apprehensive, realizing that life is but a vapor and it is time to call upon a greater Power. This became obvious because I once had the premonition of dying during open heart surgery. Here is my testimony.

On Friday, Nov 18, the surgery was scheduled for Tues the 22nd. The announcement was made at church and word quickly spread to all acquaintances for prayer on my behalf. The response began to come in from coast to coast and clear to Ghana. On Monday morning I made a special phone call to one of my dear church sisters, Ola Mae Ross, who is home bound because of age and physical complications, but having had Bible studies at her home, I knew her to be a true "Prayer Warrior". When she prays it seems she has a direct line to God.

When she realized it was me, she said, "Hayden, I was just praying for you this morning! I had the impression that you needed prayer." I told her that it was strange because I had called to ask her to pray for me. She said, "Why? are you having surgery or something?" It was then that I knew that it was not an "impression" she had had, but an "inspiration". Inspiration from God; and at this point any apprehension or doubt was erased. My faith was strengthen knowing that God was there for me and I was special to Him. We are all special to Him, Brothers. Special enough that He gave His Son that we might have everlasting life and have NO fear of death. Reject the offer and die twice.

It has been a privilege to have served as your Chaplain for the past thirteen years. It is now time to step aside and let some of the younger members hone their skills. I will always be available in the future to assist, in any way, the incoming Chaplain of the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129 of the SCV. Thank you and Deo Vindice!

Hayden H. Moody

Confederate Book Reviews

The Fredericksburg Campaign: Decision on the Rappahannock, edited by Gary Gallagher. This is a volume in the "Military Campaigns of the Civil War" series published by the University of North Carolina Press. Like the other volumes in this series this is a well written, interesting book on not so well known aspects of the Fredericksburg Campaign. This book contains seven essays, covering the following topics. The first is a look at the Union High Command at the battle: where they really as incompetent as history has made them out to be? The second looks at the Confederate leadership there: were they really as competent as history has made them out to be? The third essay looks at how the people on both sides viewed the bloodshed at Fredericksburg. The fourth one looks at the performance of the Pennsylvania Division at the battle. The fifth essay looks at how Southerners viewed their victory at Fredericksburg. The sixth essay looks at how the battle affected civilians in Fredericksburg and the surrounding area. The final one looks at the Army of the Potomac in the approximate one month period following the battle, with an emphasis on the Mud March. This book is an excellent volume that adds a great deal of information on this already well known battle.

The Stone's River and Tullahoma Campaigns: This Army Does Not Retreat, by Christopher L. Kolakowski. This book is a volume in the History Press "Civil War Sequicentennial Series". This slender volume deals with the struggle for central Tennessee from the fall of 1862 to the summer of 1863. This was a critical area because the loss of this area cost the South the services of a very productive agricultural region. This period encompassed the Battle of Murfreesboro (Stone's River to the Yankees) and the Tullahoma Campaign. At Murfreesboro the Confederate Army of Tennessee hammered the Union Army of the Cumberland, but could not finish the job, and had to retreat. In the Tullahoma Campaign the Confederate Army was manuevered almost completely out of Tennessee into Chattanooga. Except for cavalry forays, the area was lost for the remainder of the war. The only criticism I have of the book are that the maps are rather small reproductions. They are a bit hard to read. Other than that, this is an excellent volume.

A Long and Bloody Task: The Atlanta Campaign from Dalton through Kennesaw Mountain to the Chattahoochee River, May 5-July 18, 1864, by Stephen Davis. This book is from the "Emerging Civil War Series, published by Savas Beatie Publishing. Stephen Davis is the author of several other excellent Atlanta related WBTS books, so he is well qualified to write this book. As with the others in this series this is a combination history and travel guide, with excellent notes on how to drive the battlefields. The historical narrative is excellent as well, and is supported with excellent maps. I deeply regret not driving the area of the Atlanta Campaign during one of my extended stays at beautiful, scenic, Fort Benning, Georgia. Next time I am in the area this volume will accompany me.

An Altar For Their Sons: The Alamo and the Texas Revolution in Contemporary Newspaper Accounts,   by Gary S. Zaboly. This VERY expensive book is a wholly unique contribution to Alamo literature. This book as organized as a history of the Alamo and it's period as told by articles in period newspapers. It must be noted that a great deal of contemporary writing on the Alamo was, shall we say, wildly inaccurate, if not sometimes, bizarre. All of the variations on Davy Crockett's fate are here, including the story that he spent the rest of his days as a slave in a Mexican silver mine. The chief value of this book is to be able to understand how the Alamo epic was viewed by Americans and even people in the rest of the world. For that, this book is worth it's ridiculously high price. 

Dates

12/06/1889--President Davis passed away

12/08/16  Brazos Rose Chapter meeting, West Waco Library @ 6:00 pm

12/13/16  Waco Camp 129 meeting at Poppa Rollo's---6:00 pm optional dining,  7:00 pm speaker

12/25/16  A VERY REBEL CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!!!

Facebook

Flag Pledges