Gen. Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings, Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line--

Well, well. Here we are, about to finally have the big, final vote in the nastiest election that I can remember. Since we are non partisan, you will not get any overtly political comments from me. However, I will say loud and clear. Get out and vote. A great many brave Americans sacrificed it all so we would have that right. Besides, there are a great many imbeciles in the electorate now days and we who are educated need to at least neutralize their votes. 

I ran into something on Facebook that I think will stand as an example of the lack of intelligence in the old USA today. A college professor in Memphis, Tennessee declared (And this is a member of the "educated" class) that the Confederate flag is "a direct symbol of race, class, gender, & sexuality oppression." Huh? You might want to go back and read that again. Professor Zandria Robinson said that the Confederate flag is more than a symbol of slavery and Southern oppression. "[I]t is the ultimate symbol of white patriarchal capitalism" she opined. Huh? Again. After reading something like this I confess to feeling a great deal of EMBARRASSMENT for this "professor" I mean, this gal has to have a doctorate degree in order to be a professor, right? No wonder our educational system is so messed up if these are the yahoos that our 20 something year old young skulls full of mush are supposed to look up to.  

Finally, the big event coming up is the Veteran's Day Parade. Unfortunately, Hayden Moody, because of health reasons, is unable to participate. That means that his truck will not be there. And that means that we are all INFANTRY for the parade. Let me emphasize, ANYONE who wants to march, can march. Uniforms are not necessary. We will have both an armed rifle squad and anyone with uniform or not can carry or march with the flags. We are numbers F-138/139 in the parade order. That is at the very end of the F group. Where we line up, I do not know yet. I am awaiting a written notification which should have that vital information in it. I am really looking forward to this event and marching through downtown Waco on my brand new knees.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the next camp meeting, on the 8th of November, at Poppa Rollos.

In the Service of the South--

Cary Bogan

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veteran's monthly meeting will be Tuesday, November 8th, at Poppa Rollos Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. The meal will be at 6:00 PM and the speaker will be at 7:00 PM. The speaker will be Mark Vogel, who will come as Jefferson Davis and will talk about him in the first person. Visitors are welcome. For more information visit www.scv-waco.org or call 254-772-1676.

Chaplain Comments

As the special day of Thanksgiving nears, I have chosen a sermonette by our late Chaplain of the Trans Mississippi, Len Patterson, Th D. He says it better and more concisely than I could. May we all enjoy that special day with thanks.

Deo Vindice, Hayden H. Moody, Chaplain

Thanks...Giving

In a few days we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving. I've often said it's my favorite holiday, and refer to it as three "F" day: Food, Family, and Football. Of course, the real purpose of Thanksgiving Day is to set aside a time to reflect on all we have to be thankful for. And to all I do wish a very happy Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, there are many who have more to be thankful for than others. This is not only true generally, but within our own Confederation.

Perhaps it's because I'm a chaplain and minister and in touch with so many of our SCV members that I am made aware of the needs of some of our Brothers-in-Arms.

During the great war which our brave forefathers fought for Southern Independence, the ladies of the South took blankets and pillows from their own beds to comfort our wounded heroes. They gave food from their pantries when they barely had enough to survive, and darned socks for our Confederate boys sore and bleeding feet. They met troop trains with baked bread and drink, and offered words of comfort and encouragement to courageous young men who would soon face death on the battlefield, or in many cases, already had and would do so again. Should we be willing to do less?

Wasn't the United Confederate Veterans organized to, among other things, help their fellow veterans in need, and assist their widows and orphans? Aren't we, the Sons of Confederate Veterans, to follow in their cause? Didn't General S. D. Lee admonish us with the "emulation" of his virtues? Shouldn't we be as concerned with the needs of our Compatriot Brothers as our forefathers were?

In Deuteronomy 15:11, the Word of God tells us, "Therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in the land." Shouldn't we, as Godly men, be quick to open our hearts and our hands to those among us who are in need of help. This is a theme found throughout the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments. Jesus said, in Luke 14: 13, 14a, "But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the mained, the lame, the blind: and thou shalt be blessed."

If we expect to be blessed of God, then our giving of thanks should include, Thanks...Giving.

Confederate Book Reviews

Fateful Lightning: A New History of the Civil War & Reconstruction,  by Allen C. Guelzo. This book is by a history professor at Gettysburg College who wrote Gettysburg: The Last Invasion, a book I reviewed maybe a year ago. This book is a political history of the WBTS period including a fairly in depth look at the period leading up to the war and a good overview of Reconstruction to 1877. Military affairs are not emphasized. I would consider this to be a shorter version of Allen Nevins's huge eight volume The Ordeal of the Union, plus Reconstruction ( Nevins never got to the Reconstruction portion of his series). Though it has a pretty obvious yankee slant I enjoyed the book overall because of how well Mr. Guelzo writes. This book struck me as a book along the lines of The Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era, by James McPherson, as one that could be read by both casual readers and assigned to college students. A hard core Confederate could be reasonably excused for bypassing this in favor of Shelby Foote. This is still s good read.

Don't Give an Inch: The Second Day at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863--From Little Round Top to Cemetery Ridge, by Chris Mackowski, Kristopher D. White, and Daniel T. Davis. This is another volume in the "Emerging Civil War Series". This volume covers the second day at Gettysburg minus the engagements on Culp's and Cemetery Hills. Following the volume on the first day, I presume that there will be succeeding books on the second days hill fighting and the third day. Like the others in this series, this book is a success, both as a travel guide and as a survey history. This book is for both the seasoned scholar and the enthusiastic amateur.

First Blood: Fort Sumter to Bull Run, by William C. Davis and the Editors of Time-Life Books. This is the second volume of the wonderful series of Civil War books that Time-Life published in the 1980s. Oh, how much I miss and lament for Time-Life books. This volume covers the period leading up to the First Battle of Manassas, including things that happened in other theaters such as West Virginia and in the western theater. Like all of the books in this series it is superbly organized and illustrated. It is a pleasure to read books of this caliber. Too bad they don't make 'em any more.

Camden 1780: The Annihilation of Gates' Grand Army, by David Smith.  This is another excellent volume in Osprey Publishing's Campaign series of 96 page snapshot looks at famous military campaigns. This volume, in fact, covers the period from the British capture of Charleston, South Carolina, through the Waxhaws Massacre, to the disaster at Camden where the entire Southern Colonial army was destroyed, leading to a period of British dominance in the Southern colonies. It took the inspired leadership of Nathanial Greene to turn things around for the revolutionaries. As someone who has visited Camden and the battlefield I found this to be a very well done book.

Dates

11/08/16  Waco Camp meeting at Poppa Rollo's --6:00 eat.-- 7:00 speaker

11/09 & 11/10  Flag your Confederate Veterans Graves!!!!

11/11/16  VETERAN'S DAY -Parade @ 11:00, Austin Ave, Downtown Waco

11/24/16  THANKSGIVING

Newsletter Sign up

Facebook

Flag Pledges