Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Greetings, Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line!

Well, it looks like we might have an early spring with some of the warm weather we are having. Unfortunately, that might also indicate a "Hotter than" you know what summer. Such is life in our beautiful Long Star State.

Well, a lot of things are happening. A court just ruled in favor of the mayor of New Orleans in his bid to take down three Confederate monuments in the city that have been there for many years. It is expected that the monuments will be removed quickly. Where they will end up I do not know. On a related note a bill has been introduced in the Texas House, House Bill 1359, that would make it a criminal offense to remove, alter, or relocate any monuments to "Texas Heroes". Of course, the bill does NOT specifically mention "Confederate", but that is the point. The objective is to protect all monuments, including Confederate, from the idiocy of political correctness.  Who knows, if Confederate monuments were removed , then Texas monuments might very well be next. Who knows what is going on with these idiots. There is a group that thinks that the defenders of the Alamo were mostly interested in their right to own slaves!!?? We are encouraged to contact our state reps, identify ourselves as concerned citizens, NOT as diehard rebs, and "encourage" the state reps to do their duty and protect these monuments to our ancestors. Be courteous, like the southerners that we are, ask about their position, and be prepared to explain why this is important. Be prepared to give them your phone number so they may call you back. This is important.

I-35 flagpole. We will discuss at the camp meeting. I would like to agree on a day where we can get max participation from the camp in order to get the fencing up. We have been delayed by circumstances beyond our control. I anticipate that we will be able to set a specific time at the next meeting for us to gather and do the labor to put the fencing and physical security up. Soon, our flag will again fly in the breeze in Bellmead. I am extremely frustrated by this whole business.

April is coming up and that means Confederate Memorial Day. We need to remember our Southern Heroes by making their graves at local cemeteries, and that means not just Oakwood and First Street. Near and dear to my heart is the beautiful little cemetery in Moody where there are numerous Confederate soldiers interred. When I was commander the last time, wow, '03 or'04 ish, I think, we had a nice little ceremony where the camp honored the men buried there. We want to remember other cemeteries like the Fletcher Cemetery as well.

Cary Bogan

Commander, Camp # 129

"We feel that our cause is just and holy; we protest solemnly in the face of mankind that we desire peace at any sacrifice save that of honor and independence; we seek no conquest, no aggrandizement, no concession of any kind from the States with which we were lately confederated; all we ask is to be let alone; that those who never held power over us shall not now attempt our subjugation by arms. This we will, this we must, resist to the direst extremity."

Jefferson Davis,

President, Confederate State of America

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The next meeting of the BG Felix Robertson Camp # 129, Sons of Confederate Veterans, will be  Tuesday the 14th of March at Poppa Rollos Pizza at 703 N Valley Mills Drive. Meal will be at 6 PM with the camp meeting beginning at 7 PM. The speaker for this meeting will be the camp 1st Lieutenant, Bobby Jones, who will speak on "Haygood's 1st Regiment, S.C. Infantry". Visitors are welcome AND encouraged.

"I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it".

Jefferson Davis

President, Confederate States of America

Chaplain Comments

Greetings Everyone!

Recently, I finally got around to watching "Hacksaw Ridge", the story of Desmond Doss, one of only a few conscientious objectors to receive the Medal of Honor for their actions in combat. This dramatized version of his story is one that surely appeals to history buffs near and far, but his story should also appeal to Christians. If you have not seen the movie or at least heard the story of Desmond Doss, then here is a little rundown:

Doss was born (1919) and raised in Lynchburg, VA, as a devout Seventh-Day Adventist. In 1942, Doss enlisted in the military, though, according to the movie, he was under the impression that he would never have to touch a gun and have no problem, since that went against his personal beliefs. To avoid a section 8 discharge, Doss accepted the designation of conscientious objector. He was assigned as a medic to 2nd Platoon, B company, 1st Battalion, 307th Infantry Regiment, 77th Infantry Division. The division was shipped to the Pacific theater, in which his most notorious actions took place on the island of Okinawa. Never in his entire career as a soldier did he fire a single shot. Buy yet he is said to have saved at least 75 soldier's lives. Doss later recounted that every time he would go back to the battlefield to bring back another wounded soldier, he would pray "one more, help me get one more."

The moral of the story I am trying to get across to you is that we need to hold and keep our belief and faith true to ourselves. As Christians, we are called to always stay dedicated to our faith, no matter what obstacle is placed in our way. Doss was ridiculed and harshly judged just for standing up for what he believed in, but God was undoubtedly by his side the entire time. He was a true American hero, and one of the greatest examples of a devout Christian in our modern times. If you have the chance, I strongly recommend watching the movie and doing some research on Doss, he was a truly amazing character.

Deo Vindice,

Koby Westbrook, Chaplain 

"I am holding a protracted meeting. Crowds attend the preaching, and some have professed a change of heart, while others are interested. It is an interesting sight to see men, wounded in every variety of way, sitting attentive to the story of the Cross."

James Conway Hiden

Chaplain, 60th Regiment, Virginia Infantry

(3rd Regiment, Wise Legion)

Confederate Book Reviews

Retreat to Victory?: Confederate Strategy Reconsidered, by Robert G. Tanner. Robert G. Tanner is a graduate of V.M.I. who is the author of Stonewall in the Valley. This short but very interesting book is a volume in the "American Crisis Series". In brief, the subject of this book is a look at the notion that the South should have used a fundamentally different strategy in the WBTS: they should have used a strategy of avoiding battle and being willing to give up terrain in order to exhaust the North's will to fight. This idea is seen fairly often in grand strategy books relating to the WBTS. The idea is fundamentally ridiculous, for a number of reasons  which the author examines in his book. Most of the South's critical and limited manufacturing capability was located in cities that just could not be easily given up. Atlanta, Richmond, Nashville, and Memphis, to name a few were vital cities whose loss gravely hurt the South. The South did not have the "depth" of terrain which it could easily give up. The territory west of the Mississippi was not critical to the Confederate cause. The heartland of the South was the area still under Confederate control at the beginning of 1864. There was no depth to this area. The Confederacy was a voluntary association of states. None of the states would voluntarily have allowed themselves to be given up. It was shown often during the war that when areas of the South fell under Union control serious desertion problems ensued among soldiers from the affected areas. Allowing the U.S. Army to take control of vast areas of the South resulted in supply problems as these areas were not available drawing supplies. And there are more reasons which are discussed in the book. The author uses  examples from other periods of military history to support his arguments, as well as a detailed at Clausewitzian theory. Though this is probably not a book for WBTS novices, it is a worthwhile and fascinating read.  

Confrontation at Gettysburg: A Nation Saved, Av Cause Lost, by John David Hoptak. This book is a volume in the "Civil War Sesquicentennial Series" by the History Press. This book is considerably longer than most of the books in this series, obviously because of the weightier subject matter. This book is one of the better introductory histories of the Battle of Gettysburg. The book is organized into five chapters: one chapter on the leadup to the battle; one chapter on each day of the battle; and the final chapter on the aftermath. Each battle chapter starts with an introductory section which gives an overview of the day's events, along with a general overview map. Then, the chapter discusses the day in more detail using more specific maps. This, to me, is an excellent way of organizing military operations so that they are understandable to the lay reader. Each chapter has its own mini bibliography in which the author discusses books relevant to that particular day's events. All in all, this is a fine introductory volume on a heavily chronicled event.

The Confederate Book of Quotes & Narratives, by Richard Lee Montgomery. Baptist Pastor Richard Lee Montgomery is a former speaker to our camp. This 140 odd page book is filled with heroic and fascinating quotes from Southerners, both known and not so well known. The voices of four different groups of people are heard in this book: Politicians, Soldiers, Women, and a chapter on Chaplains, Evangelists, and Colporters. A Colporter is someone who distributes Bibles and other religious tracts. Those of you who regularly read this newsletter will get the opportunity to read some of these little gems in the upcoming months. If any of you bought this book when Mr. Montgomery was here you will definitely enjoy it.  

"I would fight them if they were a million."

"We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered."

General Albert Sidney Johnston, CSA, killed in action at the Battle of Shiloh, 6 April, 1862.

Dates

03/14/17  Camp 129 monthly meeting at Poppa Rollo's. 6:00 pm eat , socialize----7:00 pm Speaker

04/15 & 16/17  Mexia Reenactment

Facebook

Flag Pledges