Sons of Confederate Veterans Waco

Felix H Robertson Camp #129

Commander Comments

Dear Fellow Members of the Thin Gray Line--

I hope this finds all the members of our camp healthy and reasonably contented. I know with all of the silliness going on in America now that there are days where it is hard to be optimistic. However, as a Christian, I know that I am on the winning side. In other words, I know how the battle will ultimately end.  

Well, there is some good news out of Virginia. A judge issued a restraining order against the city of Charlottesville preventing them from taking down the R.E. Lee statue. The order is good for six months, which should allow the pro-monument folks time to marshall their legal arguments. Apparently, in Virginia, there is a law protecting "military" monuments...and I would think that a monument to Lee would qualify. The downside is that the judge said that the city can rename the park so we will have the absurd situation where there is a Lee statue in a park with another name. These nitwits are the modern day Taliban.

I am sure that all of you are following the New Orleans situation. The Liberty Place monument is gone. While I have no strong feelings about that one, it does set a precedent. That original nitwit, Mitch Landrieu, has said that the monuments will come down soon, as there is some serious civil disorder going on. This has attracted all of the crazies: the BLM crowd, the anarcho-syndicalists (whatever that is), out and out communists, etc., etc. The funny thing is that these brownshirt wanna be's are referring to monument supporters as NAZIS. If it wasn't so sad I would say that it was funny.  The Andrew Jackson monument, which is deeply part of the French Quarter area, is now coming under attack. Where is this going to end? Not with Confederate stuff, by any stretch of the imagination. I saw an interesting statement on Facebook that pointed out that these morons are intensely anti-American AND anti-Western culture. The Confederate symbolism is merely the low hanging fruit...the symbols of the Texas Revolution, and for that matter of the American Revolution and Founding are also very much potential targets. After all, how many of the Founders were slaveholders, and for that matter, a number of the men at the Alamo owned slaves. The republic of Texas was a slave holding nation, as was the state of Texas. Where will it end. Rename Washington, D.C., or Washington State????

Well, once more I want to throw out to the camp that we need more leaders. We need a 2 Lieutenant Commander for recruiting now, and we will need more officers at the end of the year. We need new blood in our camp. Some men who have not been in leadership roles must step forward. It is necessary for the camp to have fresh blood in our key positions as often as possible. It is nice to be a sponge and enjoy the camp meetings but it is not good for the organization. This groups vitality, and vigor are helped by numerous people moving through the leadership positions. 'Nuff said!

Our fearless adjutant has informed me that the VA does not want us at the Memorial Day Ceremony. I am not going to lash out at anyone...yet, but something appears to be rotten in Denmark. We WILL do something, on our own  if we have to. Possibly a ceremony at Oakwood at the Confederate Monument by the Confederate plot. With all that is going on I would not be surprised if somebody at the VA U.S. Government organization decided to get POLITICALLY CORRECT. We will NOT be ignored and we WILL not be forgotten.

I look forward to seeing everyone Tuesday night at Poppa Rollos.

In the Service of the South,

Cary Bogan

Camp Commander

Notice of Upcoming Event

The Battle of Tomlinson Hill

Civil War Reenactment

Saturday, May 20, 10:00 & 3:00

Sunday, May 21, 1:00

Gates open at 9:00 AM each day.

A live battle demonstration with cannons, horses, living history demonstrations & camps. Concession stand, horseshoes, silent auction & raffle items. Admission $5 per car. Proceeds support restoration of historic log cabin and tabernacle.

From Lott, east on Texas 320. Right on FM 2027, 1/3 mile on right, Old settlers & Veterans reunion grounds at Tomlinson Hill.

Good things to know about the event:

Campground for tent camping-Includes availability to water and restrooms with showers.

RV Hookups-Electricity only.

Picnic Pavilion-has electricity, serving tables.

Bar-B-Que Pits-(Commercial sized) under pavilion with electricity and water.

Family-sized BBQ pit. Use of picnic tables, swings, jungle gym, horseshoe pits.

$75.00 per day/night, $25.00 each RV, $100.00 deposit.

Old Settlers and Veterans Association of Falls County

2965 FM 2027 P.O. Box 91

Lott, Texas 76656

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

254-493-0567                       254-584-2205

"Duty, then, is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things, like the old Puritan. You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."

General Robert E. Lee

"I cannot consent to place in the control of others one who cannot control himself."

General Robert E. Lee                          

Lieutenant Commander Comments

The Sons of Confederate Veteran's monthly meeting will be Tuesday, May 9th, at Poppa Rollo's Pizza, 703 N Valley Mills Drive. Meal will be at 6:00 PM and the speaker at 7:00 PM. Shirley Woodlock, member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy will speak on "Stone Mountain and the Man Who Carved It". Visitors are welcome and encouraged. For more information, visit www.scv-waco.org. or call 772-1676.

"If all in the South fought like the Irish, Seccession would long since be an accomplished fact."

Major General Patrick Romayne Cleburne

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right..."

Lieutenant General Wade Hampton

Chaplain Comments

Howdy Compatriots,

This year is definitely flying by before our eyes. And it has been a very active one indeed, especially this last month. First off, for those that were unable to attend the Mexia reenactment on April 29th and 30th, you missed a couple of surprisingly beautiful days to watch a nice demonstration of Civil War combat, even though bad weather threatened both days. Doing reenactments only gives reenactors a small taste of the life of combat in the 1860s. Although there aren't really bullets flying back and forth, and those that "take a hit" come back to life after the battle is over, one thing that really sticks to my mind that I have the opportunity to experience is the camaraderie and friendship among soldiers. Every reenactment, I feel that I become closer and closer to those that reenact along with me, just as soldiers who fought countless days along side each other built those bonds and trust that could not be broken. It is evident that without this camaraderie, the unit would crumble, being unable to sustain itself, and in the heat of battle, it would be worthless.

Another big event that has risen up lately is the Confederate memorials in New Orleans being removed. It is unfortunate that we live in a time where history apparently needs to be erased, even if it offends a loud minority. I could go on and on about the negatives of the situation, and add fuel to the fire, but instead, believe it or not, there are some positives to this that can be articulated. First off, this is more of a relocation, not a permanent removal and burning of these monuments. Also, these monuments have been disgraced, abused, and vandalized for years, and in my opinion, it is best to put them in a more protected and suitable environment where visitors can actually enjoy going and seeing them, like a museum, instead of leaving them out to be neglected as they have been. As a professor of mine likes to say, we're still fighting the Civil War, it was a limited was, with limited peace. It is important that we keep the New Orleans city officials in our prayers as they go through this difficult and controversial process.

I look forward to seeing ya'll Tuesday the 9th.

Deo Vindice,

Koby Westbrook

"Every company has prayers, nightly, immediately after roll-call, and nearly all attend and are respectful; the officers, in some instances, conducting the exercises and leading in prayer."

S.W. Howerton, Chaplain, Fifteenth North Carolina Regiment

Confederate Book Reviews

The Civil War: A Concise Account by a Noted Southern Historian, by Grady McWhiney. This book is a real short account of the WBTS, that does hit all of the major themes, and gives the South a fair shake in the process. It is very short, only 142 pages including the index. By the looks of it, this was designed to be an introductory college text for non history type students. It is in the same league as An American Illiad: The Story of the Civil War, by Charles P. Roland, and Blood Brothers: A Short History of the Civil War, by Frank Vandiver. The book spends the first 45 or sop pages on the lead up to the war, and this part is probably the greatest strength of the book, because it succinctly details the various crises, compromises, and whatever else that led up to the war. In this, unlike many other WBTS histories, Mr. McWhiney fairly details the Southern point of view. The remainder of the book covers the fighting, and it does so very well. The military movements are summarized with the extensive use of campaign maps. The political forces that sometimes propelled military strategy are covered. In all, this book is an excellent of the WBTS period for the novice, as well as a short refresher for the more seasoned reader.

The Last Battle of the Civil War: Palmetto Ranch, by Jeffrey Wm Hunt. This is an excellent book covering the bizarre end of the WBTS in south Texas. The "Battle" of Palmetto Ranch is, frankly, a gross exaggeration. It is a skirmish, and not a big one at that. One Confederate soldier died of his wounds, two Yankees were killed in action, and two Yankees were missing, presumed dead. Another 70+ Yankees were captured, and released the next day. The entire Confederate force was mounted, cavalry and artillery. The Union force was all infantry, which accounts for the low casualties: neither side really came to grips with the other.   Basically, an informal truce was in effect along the Rio Grande, and an ambitious Union colonel decided, on his own, to grab some last minute glory. He failed, in an embarrassing fashion, but it had no effect on the outcome of the war. Shortly afterward, Colonel RIP Ford, the Confederate commander, disbanded his force, and sent them home. In a strange postscript, one other Union officer was court-martialed for his actions at Palmetto Ranch, and RIP Ford testified at his trial. This is an excellent book.

A Fate Worse Than Death: Indian Captivities in the West, 1830-1885, by Gregory and Susan Michno. This book ties in with the book I recently reviewed about the Texas frontier during the 1860s. It uses a lot of the same source material. The book covers stories of Indian captives. The title refers to the treatment and abuse that mature women/girls who were unfortunate enough to be captured received from the Indians. Mature males tended to be killed, while younger boys and girls were adopted into the tribe or treated as slaves.  If they caused a great deal of trouble, they would be killed as well. Needless to say, the Indians do not receive the "noble savage" treatment in this excellent book.

"I used to have some Christian feelings toward Yankees, but now that they have invaded our country and killed so many of our men and desecrated so many homes, I can't believe that when Christ said "Love your enemies," he meant Yankees. Of course I don't want their souls to be lost, for that would be wicked..."

Eliza Frances Andrews

Dates

05/09/17  Camp 129 meeting at Poppa Rollo's. 6:00 pm Eat and socialize  7:00 pm Speaker, Shirley Woodlock

05/20 & 21  The Battle of Tomlinson Hill- See Commander's comments above  (This is the first time for this event)

05/27/17   Flag graves for Memorial Day which is Monday the 29th

05/29/17  MEMORIAL DAY--Check on the Camp's plans for participation with the VA

06/03      Jefferson Davis Birthday  06/03/1808-12/06/1889

06/08/17  Brazos Rose Chapter #56 bi-monthly meeting @ West Waco Library  6:00 pm

Facebook

Flag Pledges